Anydrous body wash? Is it possible?

Hi everyone, a client has requested an anhydrous body wash that lathers up similar to a regular water-based body wash. I'm trying to figure out if I can come up with an anhydrous base first using esters + diols but I'm really stuck. What could we possible replace the water with? I could try to do an oil-based cleanser, but that wouldn't later as well and would probably just be a "milk" consistency. I believe they want to be water-free for environmental purposes. Any help would be appreciated. 

Comments

• MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    Shampoo bar or other such solid form.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • Hi @Microformulation - the client wants it in liquid form. I thought of a simple soap bar too. But that won't work out. 
  • It's possible, L'Occitane and The Body Shop both have an oil based body wash that lathers.

Lush uses glycerin instead of water for much of their shower gels.

• PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    @Sincityfire which products are you referring to? You have a link?
  • Perry said:
    Sure, here are the products and their ingredient lists:

• L'Occitane Almond Shower Oil: Vitis Vinifera (grape) Seed Oil, Tipa-laureth Sulfate, Laureth-3, Caprylic/capric Triglyceride, Parfum/fragrance, Cocamide Mea, Propylene Glycol, Sorbitan Oleate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (sweet Almond) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (bergamot) Fruit Oil, Helianthus Annuus (sunflower) Seed Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (rosemary) Leaf Extract, Tocopherol, Aqua/water, Limonene, Coumarin, Linalool
    • The Body Shop Hemp Hydrating & Protecting Shower Oil: Glycine Soja Oil/Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Laureth-3, MIPA-Laureth Sulfate, Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil, Laureth-7 Citrate, Ricinus Communis Seed Oil/Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Parfum/Fragrance, Polyglyceryl-2 Caprate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides Citrate, Citric Acid

• Lush - not completely anhydrous but they often use glycerin instead of water as the main diluent, for example: Honey I Washed the Kids Shower Gel: Honey, Glycerine, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Rosehip; Lotus Flowers And Tiger Lily Infusion, Perfume, Brazilian Orange Oil, Bergamot Oil, Titanium Dioxide, Amyl Cinnamal, *Citronellol, *Geraniol, *Limonene, *Linalool
  • Perry said:
    Sure, here are the products and their ingredient lists:

• L'Occitane Almond Shower Oil: Vitis Vinifera (grape) Seed Oil, Tipa-laureth Sulfate, Laureth-3, Caprylic/capric Triglyceride, Parfum/fragrance, Cocamide Mea, Propylene Glycol, Sorbitan Oleate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (sweet Almond) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (bergamot) Fruit Oil, Helianthus Annuus (sunflower) Seed Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (rosemary) Leaf Extract, Tocopherol, Aqua/water, Limonene, Coumarin, Linalool
    • The Body Shop Hemp Hydrating & Protecting Shower Oil: Glycine Soja Oil/Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Laureth-3, MIPA-Laureth Sulfate, Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil, Laureth-7 Citrate, Ricinus Communis Seed Oil/Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Parfum/Fragrance, Polyglyceryl-2 Caprate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides Citrate, Citric Acid

• Lush - not completely anhydrous but they often use glycerin instead of water as the main diluent, for example: Honey I Washed the Kids Shower Gel: Honey, Glycerine, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Rosehip; Lotus Flowers And Tiger Lily Infusion, Perfume, Brazilian Orange Oil, Bergamot Oil, Titanium Dioxide, Amyl Cinnamal, *Citronellol, *Geraniol, *Limonene, *Linalool
    So since the Lush product is anhydrous, does this negate the preservation issues typically associated with formulating with honey? Especially since it is listed as the first ingredient??

@Perry @PhilGeis @Pharma ;
  • PhilGeisPhilGeis Member, Professional formulator
    Apparently Lush thinks it does.
  • PharmaPharma Member, Pharmacist
    If I'm not mistaken, Lush products have very short shelf lives (and I have the impression that they don't properly test them).
  • Does the INCI on the product above even follow FDA labeling laws...? "...lotus flower and tiger Lily infusion.." ?