Pomada "Peyote con Arnica"

BelassiBelassi Member, PCF student
I am posting this for your general entertainment, education, and amusement (please select relevant category or discard).
In Creel, Chihuahua, I bought (for around $3.50 each) a couple of 120 g. jars of "Pomada PEYOTE con Arnica" which claims to be:
"used for twists, dislocations, cramps, rheumatism, decongestion of the muscles, and softening of the nerve fibres."
"Apply before going to bed, and in that way as your body rests the cream will be working."

LOI in actual order, though I rather doubt that it conforms with the usual % priority rules... (grin):
(mesquite turpentine, as near as I can guess: "trementina de ocote") but I am not sure which particular wood, it could be (eg) weeping willow...
"guayacol" - neither my wife nor I nor Google Translate knows what this might be.
"salicilato" - got to be methyl salicylate.
"arnica: - well we all know what that is.
"alcanfor sintetico" - camphor
"extracto de Lophophora Williamsi" - this is Peyote cactus extract. Please bear in mind this is a rare and slow-growing hallucinogenic cactus.
"petrolato" - Petroleum jelly I think, possibly Vaseline.
Appearance/ application: like dark green Vaseline.

Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.

Comments

• Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    the second one is probably guaiacol, used in topical anaesthetics
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • MichelleReeceMichelleReece Member
    edited April 2015
    For anyone who's interested:

Arnica's "active ingredients" are speculated to be the sesquiterpene lactones in the extract. More research is needed, of course, but looks so far that those sesquiterpene lactones only penetrate the skin if the base has a high % of ethanol and/or put in a microemulsion. If not, then it could take a ridiculously large percentage (20%+) to have any effect, presumed it's formulated correctly.

Though, I doubt any cosmetic preparations currently on the market are properly formulated for arnica to be effective.
  • BelassiBelassi Member, PCF student
    edited April 2015
    Thanks Bill and Michelle!
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • did it work for muscle aches? or did you hallucinate?? haha
    It's for my mother in law, I'll have to ask her! I can't stand putting petroleum jelly on myself, actually. As with all my skin products, if it leaves an occlusive film, I reject it.
    My wife tried this for back pain and my daughter tried it for a sprained wrist and both report that it works great!