This explains a few people...

BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
edited April 2015 in General
The Google University Effect

Many people believe they have expertise that they do not actually have because they have been able to do “research” online. 

Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."

Comments

• That's been the underlying message in that website and its sister website, sciencebasedmedicine.org, both of which I've been following for years.

The limitations of Google-ing are relevant here:

1. Past search history and keywords can skew search results. Many people don't go beyond 2-3 pages, so of course they could easily pay attention to the bad information. If you want the studies, search on Google Scholar.

2. Not all medical journals are high quality, and in fact there are several bad ones. But not even the best medical papers are immune from publishing sub-par or bad studies.

3. You should look around for any methodological criticisms (from the experts) or recent paper retractions. Keep an eye on Pubpeer and retractionwatch.com.

4. You should really know how to read a study. Having a background in statistics will help a lot.

5. Some companies and researchers like to abuse/skew double blinded, placebo-controlled studies because they know it's immediately credible. One example: check the treatment vs placebo. If they are in different vehicles--say, a cream versus a gel--it's not double blinded.
  • this is a great article
  • ozgirlozgirl Member, PCF student
    Thanks for sharing! A very interesting article.
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
  • heraklitheraklit Member, PCF student
    I tried 3 different browsers and can't open the link.
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • heraklitheraklit Member, PCF student
    O.k. great article!