TEA limits

Greetings,

I was wondering if there is any limit in concentration about using TEA in shampoo. According to Handbook of excipients, they mention a limit of 5% but for emulsions/creams. I tried to google about this topic, but not that much luck. Do you have any info regarding this?

Thank you

Comments

• DuncanDuncan Member, Professional Chemist
    http://ec.europa.eu/growth/tools-databases/cosing/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.results&annex_v2=III&search

2.5% limit for leave on products in the EU, not sure if that applies to total addition or free amine content.

5% TEA ? that's a hell of a lot. Any particular reason for that?
    UK based, Over 20 years in Toiletries, After a 5 year sabbatical doing cleaning products, back in the land of Personal Care
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    This CIR report says 5% for leave-on is max. They don't list a max for rinse-off products.  https://online.personalcarecouncil.org/ctfa-static/online/lists/cir-pdfs/pr594.pdf
  • em88em88 Member
    Can't believe I missed the cosmetic ingredient database. Thanks
    From my tests the quantity of TEA ,to regulate the pH, is around 3%. I may use NaOH, but TEA was an easier and cheaper alternative. 
    @Perry, do you mind attaching that pdf here, I don't have an account at the site you linked.
    Thank you Duncan and Perry
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    I don't think an account is required.

Go to https://www.cir-safety.org/ingredients
  • DASDAS Member
    The On-Line INFOBASE is a paid subscription service that is only available to Council members.  :( 

Why would you need that much for a shampoo?. 
  • em88em88 Member
    @Perry, both links worked! Thank you
    @DAS, I have to neutralize the shampoo in the end.  
  • em88em88 Member
    Tried a sample, where I reduced TEA to 2% and added 0.5% of NaOH 20%. It worked fine. 
    I'll try a few more combinations like this :smile:
  • Chemist77Chemist77 Member, PCF student
    edited June 2018
    How acidic is the shampoo that you require such high amounts of alkalis to bring it to the acceptable pH level or is it a neutralising shampoo for some post keratin/acidic hair straightening treatment. 
  • em88em88 Member
    The pH is 3.5 but in the end I have to have the pH of the shampoo 7 in order for the API to be stable, 
  • Chemist77Chemist77 Member, PCF student
    In that case you definitely need a good amount, have you thought of AMP-95. A very good one that though bit on expensive side. 
  • DuncanDuncan Member, Professional Chemist
    edited June 2018
    Could just use a solution of 10% sodium hydroxide. As a rule of thumb 10% sodium hydroxide has the same pH adjusting ability as TEA.
    If your Naoh solution is stronger / weaker just pro-rata it
    It's also a hell of a sight cheaper :)

Only reason I'd choose TEA (or AMP) is if I was making a hydroalcoholic carbomer gel. Sodium hydroxide tends to haze out in those, TEA or AMP being organic are more compatible with the alcohol

UK based, Over 20 years in Toiletries, After a 5 year sabbatical doing cleaning products, back in the land of Personal Care
  • em88em88 Member
    @Chemist77, unfortunately I don't have that ingredient in my lab. I will ask for it for the future projects where price is not set very low. Thank you

@Duncan, I was thinking to use NaOH only for the next trial, because i suspect TEA increases the viscosity more than I need. Right now the viscosity is 6.8 cP.
    Thanks for the tip regarding hydroalcoholic gels. :smile: