Water Based Pomade - Carbomer?

Hi Guys,

I am looking at formulating a water based hair pomade, similar viscosity to the Layrite, Upper Cut or Muk Slick (all brands of current popular hair pomades). Effectively they are more like gels, with an extremely sticky and thick viscosity. I was heading down the carbomer route, however all references are showing a thickness more like standard hair gel. Any ideas?

Comments

• Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    those products owe their texture and viscosity to large amounts of ceteareth-25 or other long-chain fatty alcohol ethoxylates; for this reason, they are very different to carbomer gels
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • Thanks Bill.. 

How would you suggest i replicate this in a home environment..  any suggestions on how to formulate a product like this?
  • I am not familiar with these particular products but I have had to reproduce a few product that is similar to your description.  They used "Water, Propylene Glycol, Ceteareth 25, Petrolatum, Copolymer, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth 20" along with a lot of minor ingredients. You may want to start your journey there. Good luck.
  • what is the difference in hold if you use ceteareath 20 to 30 as compared to cetearth 25?

• The first thing I would do is to get ingredients lists for all of the products you mentioned and see what they are using to make the kind of product that you wish to make.  You can also look online for sample formulations for this type of product and see what you can find!