What Trade Shows to go to? From the POV of an entrepreneur trying to help treat skin disease better

This year will be my first year of tradeshows, my focus is not so much on the technical aspects of formulation (you guys have been very helpful with that :) ), but more on furthering the science of treating skin (disease) and marketing your products.

I am probably going to the annual American Academy of Dermatology meeting (tagging on a derm I know), but also hope to launch an extensive product line by the end of the year, so contacts for marketing and especially meeting influencers in the industry is key.

Thoughts?

Comments

• BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    HBA?
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • Why would you recommend HBA over the others? I'm completely green to this
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    inCosmetics is good. The Suppliers Day by the NYSCC is good too. They are more raw material focused but that includes things like actives.

Beauty Expo - http://www.beautyexpousa.com/
    Cosmoprof - http://www.cosmoprofnorthamerica.com/
    Well, it depends on what you are trying to do.

Incosmetics and NYSCC/California SCC suppliers day are primarily for selling ingredients/equipment/services to chemists.

HBA and Cosmoprof are primarily for selling services/packaging components/ingredients to marketing, buyers and owners.

If you want to find/talk to movers and shakers in the industry, go to HBA and/or Cosmoprof, etc. - those folks wouldn't be caught dead at a show like Suppliers Day, which is for the "little" people who toil away in the labs making products. 
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • ZinkZink Member
    edited February 2015
    Thanks, good comments, ideally I'd like to meet the movers and shakers (HBA andor Cosmoprof), but  how about if the focus is on skin care science?

Where would you meet a cross section of people making products and people doing the hard science? My background is in science so that's of interest to me, beyond making solid topical formulations, I hope to help further the science in a real way (planning to launch and give full disclosure about it here by the end of the year :).
  • I just applied for a sub to Dermatology Times which has some interesting items if you can manage to avoid looking at the images of people with terrible conditions!
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
    For the hard science, you need to go to the SCC annual scientific meeting in NYC, held in December.

This was last December's agenda:

More info on the 2015 meeting should start showing up around September.

Also, the IFSCC 2016 annual meeting is in the US: