Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating How is it possible? Bath oil

• How is it possible? Bath oil

Posted by MarkHkang on February 12, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Hello,

I have noticed there are several companies who make bath oils without any surfactants. Pure blends of oils, and they still claim that their oil disperse in water.
    Here is couple of examples of LOI 
    Carthamus tinctoorius (Safflower) Oil, Prunus armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Prunus dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Aloe barbadensis (Aloe) Oil, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Infusion of Calendula officinalis in Olea europaea (Organic Olive) Oil, Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary) Oleoresin, Essential Oils, Azadirachta indica (Neem) Oil 
    Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil (Sweet Almond), Citrus Medica Limonum Oil (Lemon), Triticum Vulgare Germ Oil (Wheat), Tocopherol, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract (Rosemary), Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean), Canola Oil, Citronellol, Limonene

Can anyone suggest how this is possible? 

Thanks
    ozgirl replied 9 years, 1 month ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • belassi

February 12, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Buy one and try it.

• davidw

February 13, 2015 at 12:48 am

Guess it depends on your definition of “disperse”.  Also possible they are not listing everything and including something like hydrogenated castor oil or other emulsifier

• galina

February 19, 2015 at 3:58 am

Don’t believe the label. I have seen many labels that made me smile

• MarkHkang

February 19, 2015 at 2:46 pm

If so, how do they get away with this kind of incorrect labels? I wonder if it is worth anything to hide any ingredient as galina and DavidW suggested. 

• ozgirl

February 19, 2015 at 9:57 pm

The regulatory agencies are really only interested to see if there is a list of ingredients and are probably not going to look too closely to see if the list of ingredients is consistent with the product form.

• bobzchemist

February 20, 2015 at 3:01 pm
    Is it worth anything? It depends.

Here’s the dual risks the manufacturers are taking:

1) That someone will be harmed by their product and sue. Faced with a lawsuit that could potentially reveal their deceptive label to the regulatory agencies, they would have NO choice but to settle out of court. If this became known among product liability lawyers, they could be bankrupted by the settlements.

2) That someone will be harmed by their product and report it to the regulatory agencies with or without suing. Because they would have to reveal their deceptive label to the regulatory agencies during the subsequent investigation, they could be in a world of trouble. Also, risk #1 comes into play again, since agency investigations, etc. are usually public.
  • ozgirl

February 22, 2015 at 9:38 pm

I just wanted to add to my earlier comments that I do not suggest that you try to hide ingredients. I was only suggesting how companies are able to get away with it.