Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair % of fragrance in liquid dish cleaner?

• % of fragrance in liquid dish cleaner?

Posted by Margaret on January 15, 2021 at 8:21 pm

I am unable to find a general % range of fragrance that is added to liquid dish cleaners. I’ve looked at formulae on the STEPAN web-site, but they only indicated ‘q.s.’ for fragrance.

I’ve made myself dish BARS, and I use 0.5% fragrance, but it doesn’t give off much smell, so I figured if I know what a LIQUID dish cleaner has, I can calculate what my BARS should contain, roughly.

And, yes, I know that if a liquid soap cleaner claims to be concentrated, then there might be a higher % of fragrance, to account for the fact the consumer would add LESS of this to the water, to yield the same amount of smell.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Margaret replied 3 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Cafe33

January 16, 2021 at 1:39 am

You are most likely using the wrong perfume. With some fragrance, particularly ones labeled for home care, 0.5% can be more than enough to fill the room so to speak.

Here’s one utilizing 0.2%

Home Cleaning Formulations - Evonik Cleaning Solutions

• Michelle76

January 16, 2021 at 8:45 am

I agree with Cafe33. You need a small amount of fragrance 0.1-0.2%. I notice in my experiments some fragrances tend to fade quickly in some formulae. I think it also depends on the quality, some are just too weak. In my understanding you don’t want to add an high quantity of fragrance, they often contain allergens. 

• Margaret

January 17, 2021 at 4:37 pm

Thanks for your comments.  I have found that the citrus ESSENTIAL oils completely dissipated from my dish bars, so I have switched to FRAGRANCE oils instead. I’ll keep searching.