Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Hair and body wash causing hair to fall out?

Tagged: ,

• Hair and body wash causing hair to fall out?

Posted by mckarters on January 5, 2021 at 12:23 am
    A customer has complained that our h&b wash is causing her hair to fall out. Says she used to use Herbal Essence h&b before without issue. The thing is, our formula is similar to HE. 
    Formula:
    58% h20
    20% sles
    20% coco betaine
    2% veg glycerin
    germall plus
    We have been using this formula for ~2 years on ourselves, friends and family; and selling for about a year with no issues(multiple people even saying it is their favorite h&b wash)
    Should this formula be causing hair to fall out? Could germall plus cause hair to fall out? Is this a situation where not every product is suitable for every person?
    Thank you for any input. 
    ozgirl replied 3 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • oldperry

January 5, 2021 at 1:16 am

Welcome to formulating in the 2020’s.  

No, your formula is not cause hair to fall out. 
    No, Germall plus does not cause hair to fall out.

This is a case where consumers post stuff on Tik Tok, Facebook or Instagram about products making their hair fall out. They find a lawyer who is willing to file a class action lawsuit, then they hope the company will settle.

Tresemme is going through this right now.
    https://www.onderlaw.com/they-wanted-the-healthy-hair-this-shampoo-promised-instead-they-lost-their-hair/

It’s a complete and utter sham of a lawsuit but lawyers have made a lot of money suing Wen and maybe Deva Curl for unsubstantiated hair loss claims. Look for more lawsuits like these in the future.

Good luck!

• mckarters

January 5, 2021 at 3:35 pm
    Thanks Perry.
  • ngarayeva001

January 6, 2021 at 8:20 pm

I read that story about Tresemme class action and thought I need to buy some DMDM until it is completely banned..

• oldperry

January 7, 2021 at 2:27 am

@ngarayeva001 - it won’t be banned. It is approved in the EU by the SCCS and the CIR also confirms its safety. Unilever made the mistake of settling a similar lawsuit with a Suave product and lawyers probably figured they could get a settlement out of the company for Tresemme.

• ozgirl

January 7, 2021 at 3:42 am
    I saw the Tresemme scaremongering on Facebook today along with a link to check your ingredients on the EWG website. I just sat there shaking my head.
    Thankfully, someone had already beat me to warning against the EWG.
    There is probably more formaldehyde in their organic apple.