Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Shampoo with Camel Urine

• Shampoo with Camel Urine

Posted by alam on January 13, 2015 at 7:45 am

Hello everyone,

I am Alamgir, working as a product development chemist in a small scale company in middle east. our company wanted to manufacture shampoo with Camel urine. since recent researches have been found camel urine has excellent properties for dandruff & hair falling control.
    our parent company cater around 4000 camels & produces fresh camel milk and distribute Middle east as well as in Europe. we will collect camel urine from them & utilize in our product.    
    Can any one enlighten me for camel urine permissible in personal care products according to European Union & if yes, then what is optimum limit?  
    however there are products with camel urine being sold in the market of Saudi Arabia & few personal care products with Cow urine are being sold in Indian market.

Regards
    braveheart replied 9 years, 2 months ago 8 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • bill_toge

January 13, 2015 at 10:41 am
    both camel and cow urine are outside the scope of the EU cosmetic regulations

as it stands, they don’t even have registered INCI names, never mind any toxicology data to prove that they’re safe for human use

because of that, no safety assessor in their right mind would approve anything containing them; and you wouldn’t able to sell them legally without a safety assessment
  • markbroussard

January 13, 2015 at 7:31 pm

On occassion, I pee in my formulations when my stock of urea is running low.

• braveheart

January 13, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Camel and cow urine? Huh?

Hey, don’t you think MarkBroussard’s pee might have much more excellent properties for restoring baldness and reversing all forms of wrinkles and even scars from injuries?
  • markbroussard

January 13, 2015 at 9:25 pm

LOL!  It lends new meaning to the term “golden shower”!  Hey!  Urine is sterile!

• Anonymous

January 14, 2015 at 3:14 am

Urine

• belassi

January 14, 2015 at 11:26 am

Later in the forum:

“My shampoo is releasing a strong smell of ammonia and cats are attracted to me … “
  • braveheart

January 14, 2015 at 1:45 pm

I am beginning to like this thread.

• heraklit

January 14, 2015 at 2:11 pm
  • Beaver

January 14, 2015 at 3:38 pm

<
    Later in the forum:
    “My shampoo is releasing a strong smell of ammonia and cats are attracted to me … “
    >

@Belassi- I laughed out loud in a very quiet lab. This thread is getting more hilarious everytime I check back.

• braveheart

January 14, 2015 at 4:45 pm

@Perry - Yes, please!
    - we need a thread for strange & unusual cosmetic ingredients/chemistry.

@heraklit…. some of the ingredients on that list have been noted to be beneficial and would not using them, I mean only Squalene & DE.
  • belassi

January 14, 2015 at 6:45 pm

There is also the ingredient sourcing problem to consider. I would not want to be the employee who has to follow the camels around holding a bucket ready for the golden stream.

Not to mention the er, religious problem. I think there might be a marketing issue convincing your customers that only the urine from male camels is being used: 
    The Prophet said: “The urine of a baby boy should have water sprinkled upon it. The urine of a baby girl is to be washed off”. [Abu Dawood, Nasai and Ibn Majah].
    And in a more general sense, it may prove difficult to convince the more religious customers that no trace of impurity remains after shampooing the hair…
  • alam

January 15, 2015 at 12:45 am
    Thanks Bill, 

• belassi

January 15, 2015 at 2:21 am
  • bobzchemist

January 15, 2015 at 10:12 am

There were a few inside jokes sprinkled through the first edition of the CTFA dictionary. One of the guys who was on the committee to write it clued me in about some - my favorite was sodium gorgonzolate.

(The spoilsports on the committee for the second or third edition took them all out,sadly)
  • heraklit

January 15, 2015 at 11:51 am

:)

• braveheart

January 16, 2015 at 7:46 am

:D