Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Requests / Opportunities Product Labels Topic

• Product Labels Topic

Posted by vungo on January 8, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I have a few question regard Printing products labels. Please feel free to discuss, any information is helpful.
    For a manufacturer to print products labels, what information is required by standard? what is the best way to print? Outsource the design? Labels information requirement

Ingredients, Warring, Products info, Directions, Manufacturer, distributor, etc

Type of products: Lotions, Cuticle Oil, Massage Oil, Sea Salt Scrub, Sugar Scrub, Marine Mask, etc…

belassi replied 9 years, 1 month ago 6 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • vitalys

January 8, 2015 at 8:58 pm

The answer would be too complicated for short explanation. If your products are marketed in the USA, FDA regulates all those rules and requirements. You may visit their website and I bet you will find a lot of basic information. http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/default.htm

• belassi

January 9, 2015 at 1:09 am

The label is a marketing item but must also comply with the relevant standards for ingredients, method of use, etc. Unless you are an experienced designer, you should outsource the label graphics to a brand creator. (A graphic designer with branding experience). The label will markedly influence your sales.

• david

January 10, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Too many questions in one. Please narrow your question. Start with location and product…

• vungo

January 14, 2015 at 10:52 am

Thanks all,

to David, the location is within USA-Texas, Florida, Georgia. 

Products for now let just pick, Lotion and Massage Oil.

thank you for any input

• david

January 14, 2015 at 10:58 am

for a start you need:

- list of ingredients
    - volume
    - name of the product
    - address
    - pao - symbol
    - use instructions
    Some products also need warnings on the label
    Did I forget something?
  • vungo

January 14, 2015 at 12:46 pm

thank you David,

yes that good, some product like acetone, callus remover , or bucket required warning: such as Keep out of reach of children, For external use only, etc..

• braveheart

January 14, 2015 at 1:48 pm

The label will markedly influence your sales.” - Belassi.

Nothing truer than that in this business!
  • braveheart

January 14, 2015 at 1:54 pm

I am also working this section of my product development as well.

What do you (experienced) experts say to this: The product bottle carries some basic information such as product name, volume, list of ingredients, name of company - to minimize clutter. Then, put all the remaining information such as batch number, use instructions, further benefits, etc on an inserted “product information” A5 paper. Would that be okay?
  • belassi

January 14, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Presentation is 90% of the initial sales appeal. Whether you make a second sale to the same customer depends on the product performance, but even then, consumers “want to believe” claims. The problem is how to make the label attractive without having it crammed with LOI in 6 point font.

I got around the problem by using two labels for products such as shampoo. The fancy label on the front gives product name, company details (brand large, address small) and claims. The rear label has the LOI and use guidelines. Your idea is also good, but how will you attach the info leaflet? Yes you can put the product into its own box and include the leaflet but packaging costs will go up. However, a boxed product arguably has a higher-end appeal.
  • braveheart

January 14, 2015 at 4:53 pm

@Belassi…. ever so thoughtful comments. Thanks.

That is exactly what I intend to do. I had made for me two designs - one wrap-round, which looked too-wordy like a cosmetics textbook and the other with product name and brand eye-catchy. The rest will go into the leaflet and box (I just wanted to be sure I am on track with my labelling without reading a 10,000-word of information). Yes, the cost will go up a little because of the extra cost, but I think it’s worth it, it makes it look quite presentable and clean.

• vungo

January 27, 2015 at 5:21 am

For now the effective way for me is to have one label with graphic design and info on easy layout view.

What about what type of label should it be print on? I found that on polycarbonate is best , but it might be too costly.

Need the label to be durable, water proof.

any suggestion?

• jdandco2014

February 6, 2015 at 5:29 pm

If your planning to sell your items outside USA - you might want to include Spanish and French languages for your copy/text.

For type of label materials, try to get some samples to test on your products before the final run.
    Some labels don’t adhere very good when it overlap onto the label.

• belassi

February 6, 2015 at 8:03 pm

MacTac is the best material I’ve found for plastic product labels. It sticks really well and is a little bit stretchy.