Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Emulgade SE - Emulgade 165…What if you need to choose one?

• Emulgade SE - Emulgade 165…What if you need to choose one?

Posted by pepe on September 17, 2020 at 6:23 am

Hello all,

I hope everyone is fine and well.

Generally which one do you prefer to use in your emulsion based formulations?

Emulgade SE or its equivalent (Glyceryl Stearate (and) Ceteareth-20 (and) Ceteareth-12 (and) Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Cetyl Palmitate)

Emulgade 165 or its equivalent (Glyceryl Stearate (and) PEG-100 Stearate)

Recently I have used Emulgade SE due to its thickening effect beside emulsifying properties. But nowadays I see that it is not so succesful to emulsify high amount of oil phase (fatty alcohol-esters-mineral oil combination). I needed to increase the viscosity of water phase in order to make the emulsion stable while I was only using Emulgade SE. 

Thank you in advance

ketchito replied 3 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • graillotion

September 17, 2020 at 6:41 am

The 165 emulsifier is about the most bulletproof, all around emulsifier on the market.  Nuff said.

• ketchito

September 17, 2020 at 1:25 pm

@pepe I’m also very familiar with Emulgade 165, but at least for the description, Emulgade SE seems like a very nice combo: one low HLB emulsifier, two high HLB emulsifiers, a fatty alcohol and a high melting point ester. The mixture of low and high HLB emulsifiers give a more stable emulsion (Emulgade 165 was designed under the same principle), while the incorporation of two waxes (a fatty alcohol and a high melting point ester) makes the crystalline network more rigid, resulting in higher viscosity (that’s why you add fatty alcohols in emulsions) and more stability. You could actually do this on your own, but I believe Emulgade SE has a very specific and synergistic ratio. At least, I’d try it.