Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Packaging (HDPE) Question

Tagged: ,

• Packaging (HDPE) Question

Posted by Ichlas on September 9, 2020 at 6:08 am
    Hi all, I was wondering if there is any sort of reaction between HDPE material with vegetable oils?
    Because all the bottles of a Massage Oil product in my lab (which the plastic material is HDPE) are shrinking (as shown as Fig.1, where Fig.2 is the same bottle for another product which condition is fine and did not shrink).
    I looked online and only found out that PE is actually compatible with vegetable oils, so what happened here?
    ketchito replied 3 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ozgirl

September 9, 2020 at 10:54 pm
    I have seen this paneling occur with some vegetable oils, esters and essential oils in HDPE bottles.
    Most vegetable oils (for eating) are sold in glass, metal or PET.
    This is why it is very important to test packaging in your stability trial.
  • chemicalmatt

September 14, 2020 at 8:20 pm

HDPE is compatible with vegetable triglycerides, but the plasticizers used by this blow molder were not, which is why some bottles will soften like that. The phthalates (now discontinued) plasticizers were infamous for this.

• Ichlas

September 16, 2020 at 1:17 am

HDPE is compatible with vegetable triglycerides, but the plasticizers used by this blow molder were not, which is why some bottles will soften like that. The phthalates (now discontinued) plasticizers were infamous for this.

Thank you for your answer, but i don’t quite get it. Isn’t plasticizer intended to make the plastic flexible? so why the oil can soften the plastic?

• ketchito

September 17, 2020 at 1:55 pm

@Ichlas The problem is that it can migrate from the packaging to your product.