Issue With Xanthan Gum / Hydroxyethylcellulose Precipitating from Aqueous Serums

MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
edited December 2014 in Formulating
I'm having a bit an issue with with a mixture of Xanthan Gum & Hydroxyethylcellulose precipitating from solution in low pH aqueous serums.  Anyone have any ideas?
Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com

Comments

• MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    I am homogenizing at 15,000 RPM for 10 minutes, stirring for 30 minutes, and homogenizing at 15,000 RPM for another 10 minutes.  The solution is relatively clear.  But, in doing stability testing, I am getting some settling of a "gel" after 2 to 3 weeks and/or a floating haze, with a very clear layer at the top.

I'm going to do a run without the gums to see and a separate run with the gums to make sure that the precipitate is the gums or not.
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

• PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    You might also try an experiment where you adjust the pH higher to see if that is causing the problem.  
    Yes, I suspect it is indeed a pH issue as I get more precipitate with one formulation at pH 3.5 than I get in a second formulation at pH 4.0.

edited December 2014
    I think the culprit is Hydrolysed Wheat Protein ... anyone ever have issues with Hydrolysed Wheat Proteins precipitation out at low pH?

I did a knock-out experiment eliminating the Hydrolysed Wheat Protein and that seems to have done the trick.

• Hi Mark,

I think you should reduce the time & speed of homogenizer, sometimes due to high speed & prolong homogenizing creates separation.
    Thanks Alam.  I will give that a try.  Appreciate it!