Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Citrus Spray Cleaner

• Citrus Spray Cleaner

Posted by imported_stefarama on July 16, 2020 at 7:37 pm

Hi All, 
    I make some products and purchase others from a manufacturer and wondering about this one… a citrus spray cleaner.  I like the limited ingredients, and the price is good, but with shipping prices on the rise, wondering if this is something I’m better off making vs purchasing.  

The question is, what would be the percentage of water and limonene in the below ingredient deck vs the limonene and others? I’m guessing the preservatives are 1% or less combined?  I can buy d-limonene extract on it’s own. Is that the same thing?  Not paying for water delivery would save quite a bit.

Ingredients: Aqua (Water),Limonene,Caprylyl Glucoside (Plantasol),Ethylhexylglycerin (Preservative),Phenoxyethanol (Preservative)

imported_stefarama replied 3 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • letsalcido

July 16, 2020 at 10:09 pm

I would try making it myself. It does not seem like a risky product to make at home (like antibacterials that you can’t know if you have an effective formula).

I would do 0.5% EHG and 0.5% Phenoxyethanol probably. 

2-5% active Alkyl Glucoside 
    2-5% D-Limonene (degreaser)

You can even improve it a bit by learning what pH is better for what kind of surfaces. Basic pH (9-10) is good for degreasing, while pH ~3 is good for removing grime (but don’t quote me on this, I think this is what I read not long ago). You can use citric acid and a solution of sodium hydroxide to adjust as required.

Also, some surfaces like natural stone may get damaged by basic pH (or was it acidic pH?). So do your research if you have natural stone counter tops or tile! 
  • imported_stefarama

July 17, 2020 at 11:31 pm

Wonderful! Thank you!!