Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Can Protein Isolate be used in hair products?

• Can Protein Isolate be used in hair products?

Posted by Zara on July 13, 2020 at 9:19 am

Hi everyone,
    My question might sound stupid but is it possible to add a protein isolate(instead of hydrolyzed Protein) which contains 90% protein to hair products? I’ve searched a lots but couldn’t find anything about using the isolate in hair products.
    is the molecular weights in isolate proteins is the same as hydrolyzed proteins? 
    I am just looking for alternatives.
    I really appreciate your input. Thanks

ketchito replied 2 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • pharma

July 14, 2020 at 7:38 pm

The only protein isolates I know are from whey (they go into my shakes *yummy*)… sure you can use these, as claim ingredients. Whey proteins are hundreds of times larger than hydrolysed proteins and… well, honestly, do the same (=nothing) in a rinse-off formulation. In a leave-on, hydrolysed proteins might serve as humectants.

• ariepfadli

October 5, 2021 at 10:28 am

You need to hydrolized it first to get peptide fragment which seal you broken hair shaft, protein will too big molecul to attach to you hair

• ketchito

October 5, 2021 at 1:15 pm

@Zara Proteins actually have very interesting interfacial activity in surfactant systems. I remember attending a lecture from Dr. Lochhead talking about more natural coacervates formed by the interaction of proteins and anionic surfactants. There are very few papers about this matter, here’s one of them (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/284469435_Complex_coacervates_of_whey_proteins_and_anionic_polysaccharides_and_their_use_for_encapsulation). 

I remember also in some tests we did back in the day, foam in some surfactant systems was increased in the presence of whey protein. Also, if I remember correctly, there are interactions between protein isolates and some gums, which result in increased viscosity of some systems.