Duplicate an ingredient

heraklitheraklit Member, PCF student
edited December 2014 in Formulating
If you can't find an ingredient, could you duplicate it? For example if you can't find Lamesoft PO65, you can read at its MSDS that consists of 32% Coco Glucoside, 26% Glyceryl Oleate, Citric Acid and 36% Water. So if you blend these constituents actually you will have Lamesoft. Ηas anyone tried something similar? Do you achieve the same efficiency?

Comments

• MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    Certainly, if you know the composition of an ingredient blend, you can purchase the individual components and make your own blend.  It won't be Lamesoft, but it will be 32% CocoGlucoside, 26% Glyceryl Oleate, 36% Water, and 6% Citric Acid and should perform similarly provided that the individual ingredients are chemical identical to those used in Lamesoft.

I do this with some Preservative Blends and oil blends.
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

Provides Formulation Development and Lab-Scale Contract Manufacturing Services.  See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com

• DavidDavid Member
    edited December 2014
    I don't know which MSDS you have from Lamesoft but usually the exact composition is not given.
    However I agree that duplicating is doable, and I would also recommend it, since a lot of suppliers today have ran out of news and they try to sell "optimized" blends of old ingredients instead (to a higher price).
  • heraklitheraklit Member, PCF student
    Thank you very much for your responses.