Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Enhancing body wash formula

• Enhancing body wash formula

Posted by curlycorner on June 6, 2020 at 4:59 am

Hey guys,

Hoping that someone could help me enhance this formula please? Trying to create a moisturising and not dry body wash 

• Water 
    • Sci - 9% 
    • CAPB - 27%
    • Deyl glycoside - 5% 
    • Lamesoft - 3% 
    • Glycerine - 3% 
    • Shea butter - 0.1%
    • Olive oil - 0.1%
    • Coconut oil - 0.1%
    • Chelating agent - 2%
    • Panthenol - 1%
    • Essential oil blend - 0.5%
    • Citric acid - 0.8%
    • Preservative - 0.6%
    I have used 27% of CAPB because the ratio to not cause SCI to separate is 1:3/4.

This doesn’t foam as much as I want - as in it doesn’t foam as the commercial body wash such as dove.

Open to suggesting and correction as I am very new to formulating. 

Thanking you all in advance :)

curlycorner replied 3 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Cafe33

June 7, 2020 at 11:20 pm

I have used 12% CAPB with 8% SCI, and no separation was noted months later. What is your reference for using so much CAPB? 

• curlycorner

June 8, 2020 at 11:16 am

Hi Cafe33, thanks for your reply. Following manufacturing process and being overly scared of separation haha  

• EVchem

June 8, 2020 at 11:46 am

your active % of CAPB is 27? CAPB often comes in ~30% mixes with water. And your chelator is at 2%? That’s very high.

Is your lamesoft lamesoft PO 65? If you give specific INCIs people will be able to help you faster and more effectively.

Oils will hurt your foaming a bit. If you look at the dove commercial body washes I doubt they will use the exact same surfactants as you. SLES is still king for foaming ability.

You could try sodium methyl cocoyl taurate. It’s not big foam but it does bubble up nice and creamy.

• curlycorner

June 8, 2020 at 12:05 pm

@EVchem thanks for your reply. Please see below:

• Water 
    • Sci - 9% (7.6 ASM)
    • CAPB - 27% (8 ASM)
    • Deyl glycoside - 5% (2.5)
    • Lamesoft - 3%  ( INCI Coco Glucoside and Glyceryl oleate)
    • Glycerine - 3% 
    • Shea butter - 0.1%
    • Olive oil - 0.1%
    • Coconut oil - 0.1%
    • Dissolvine GL Chelating agent - 2% (1% active contents)
    • Panthenol - 1%
    • Essential oil blend - 0.5%
    • Citric acid - 0.8%
    • Preservative - 0.6%
    Thanks 
  • oldperry

June 8, 2020 at 12:32 pm

Including oils in a cleansing formula reduces foam. If you want better foam, get rid of Shea butter, Olive oil, and coconut oil. These things are not providing moisturization either. They simply interfere with foaming and rinse away.  Also, Glucosides are not particularly good foamers.  Panthenol is also water soluble so putting 1% in the formula is not efficient. It is simply getting rinsed down the drain and not providing any benefit.

• curlycorner

June 8, 2020 at 12:50 pm

@Perry thank you for your help and advice. I will get rid of the oils. Do you suggest I increase panthenol or get rid of it all together ? Thanks