Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Pump Spray Antiperspirants

• Pump Spray Antiperspirants

Posted by ozgirl on December 10, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I am trying to formulate a non-aerosol pump spray antiperspirant. I found a Croda starting formulation and ordered in the samples to make it.

The formula was

C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate   10%
    Ethanol   20%
    PPG-5-Ceteth-20 (PROCETYL AWS)  5%
    Propylene Glycol   3%
    Cyclomethicone    1.25%
    Water (Deionised)   to 100%
    Allantoin   0.1%
    Aluminium Chlorohydrate Solution 45.5%
    Perfume qs

When I made up the sample it separated almost immediately.

I started thinking about where I went wrong and thought that maybe I had done something wrong. So I carefully remade the sample following the procedure and the same thing happened.

Then whilst searching for answers I found an almost identical formula in a book called Poucher’s Perfumes, Cosmetics and Soaps except this formula contained Laureth-2 Benzoate instead of the C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate.

I found a little information on the Laureth-2 Benzoate which suggests that the formulation would work with it instead of the C12-C15 Alkyl Benzoate. However, this product does not appear to be on the list of chemicals eligible for importation into Australia ( I am still waiting for confirmation from the supplier on this).

Can anyone suggest a replacement for Laureth-2 Benzoate that might work in this formulation.

If it helps here is the description of Laureth-2 Benzoate - Non-oily emollient with excellent spreading properties, pre-wetting agent for
    polymers and resins, excellent blooming agent, water coupling, ideal for
    hydro-alcoholic systems.

Thanks

ozgirl replied 9 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • chemist77

December 10, 2014 at 9:42 pm

The ingredient you have mentioned could be replaced any similar kind of ethoxylated light feel ester oil, as it is quite obvious that everything in your formula fits fine except the oil part (C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate). 

Or try tweaking it by increasing the AWS and bringing down the alkyl benzoate and see how it works out. 
  • ozgirl

December 11, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Thanks milliachemist!

Would something like PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate or Olive Oil PEG-7 Esters work in this application?

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

• chemist77

December 11, 2014 at 11:38 pm

I would opt the later to start with.

• ozgirl

December 14, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Thanks. I will give that a go and see if it works.