Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Formula needs a preservative. Scared of mold formation

• Formula needs a preservative. Scared of mold formation

Posted by k17 on April 2, 2020 at 3:55 pm

Hello :)

I am creating homemade pressed glitters and have my formula down but I haven’t added a preservative yet. The preservative needs to be vegan and not tested on animals.

Here’s what I’m using so far:

Currently I’m using:
    • Aloe vera gel
    • Castor oil
    • Vegetable glycerin
    • Isoporpyl alcohol

The aloe gel contains potassium sorbate inbuilt. Will that be enough to prevent mold growth? Or do I need to add another preservative?

Thank you!

oldperry replied 3 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • oldperry

April 2, 2020 at 6:21 pm

I don’t think there exists a preservative that hasn’t been tested on animals.  Aloe, castor oil, glycerin and isopropyl alcohol have all been tested on animals.

All preservatives are vegan in that none of them are derived from animals (as far as I know).

No, the potassium sorbate used to preserve your aloe is not going to be adequate to preserve your whole system. You need an additional preservative. But without other information, it’s had to give advice.

What’s the pH?
    What else is in your formula?
    How much water is in your formula?

• k17

April 2, 2020 at 7:02 pm

Hi Perry.

That is all that’s in my formula:

99% Aloe gel with potassium sorbate built in
    Castor oi;
    Vegetable Glycerin
    Isopropyl Alcohol
    + Glitter

I’m using the ratio aloe:castor:glycerin: 1:1:1

I am not adding any water.

Would this be a good preservative?:
    Jeecide cap 5: Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Hexylene Glycol

Thank you!

• oldperry

April 2, 2020 at 8:37 pm

If you keep the pH at 5.0 or below then it may be a suitable preservative. You’ll have to measure the pH though.  

However, with >30% alcohol you probably don’t need an additional preservative.

Is this formula stable?