Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Product Fragrance & Required Concentration of Surfactant

• Product Fragrance & Required Concentration of Surfactant

Posted by Anonymous on March 9, 2020 at 11:57 am

Hello!

I am an inexperienced formulator trying to learn the basics. I am currently in the process of developing a multi-purpose spray for use at home.

To give an outline of the product, I am creating an anhydrous formula which I can then add to water in a spray bottle to create the cleaning solution. Therefore the ingredients used must not be liquid (except inert oils).

My problem, and what I hope you guys can advise me on is as follows:

I am using SLS as my surfactant, and finding recommended usage concentrations online has proven very difficult. I have arrived at a usage of 0.4% (2g in 500ml water). 

Furthermore, I am trying to add fragrance to my solution which so far, I have experimented with both synthetic oils and essential oils. However, to gain an adequate potency, the concentration of SLS isn’t high enough to create a stable emulsion.

1. Can someone offer advice on the concentrations of SLS in this formula, both for cleaning efficacy and creating an emulsion for the fragrance oil
    2. What fragrances are recommended and from where (Based in UK)

Formula:

Citric acid - 0.5g
    Sodium Carbonate - 1.0g
    Sodium Lauryl Sulphate - 2.0g
    Preservative
    Fragrance

Many thanks in advance!

Anonymous replied 4 years ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.