Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Sanitiser

• Sanitiser

Posted by belassi on March 7, 2020 at 5:56 pm

I’m going to try my hand at this… after reading the BASF info my first attempt will be:
    Water 12.2%
    ETOH (70%) 86%
    Aloe powder 0.1%
    Lavender EO 0.1%
    Carbomer Ultrez-20 0.25%
    TEA 0.25%
    PG 0.5%
    Silsense DW-16 0.3%
    Glucam E-20 0.3%

pharma replied 3 years, 10 months ago 18 Members · 66 Replies
  • 66 Replies
  • belassi

March 7, 2020 at 8:07 pm

I just made this. Unfortunately I had to use 940 instead of Ultrez-20 because my Ultrez had gone solid. So with that, and the 0.1% EO, it’s not clear, but the overall effect is excellent, good sensorial, after-aroma of lavender, non-tacky.
    Method: Dissolve aloe and EO in alcohol, add carbomer to water, leave to swell, rapid mixing, then add the PG, E20 and Silsense. Mix well, add the TEA, with slow mixing, then slowly add the alcohol mix, blend, that’s it.

• Agate

March 8, 2020 at 10:24 pm

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

• amitvedakar

March 9, 2020 at 9:55 am
    Does 940 make gel in IPA? I tried but gel breakdown
    or it was due to fast adding of IPA?
  • alchemist01

March 9, 2020 at 12:35 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the ethanol concentration in sanitizers generally %v/v? Right now you’re sitting at 60.2%wt which would be 76.3%v/v which doesn’t seem like an intentional amount.

• belassi

March 9, 2020 at 2:54 pm

This was not IPA it was 70% denatured ethanol from the shop.

• chemist77

March 10, 2020 at 6:12 am

Amit what was the order of addition, did you neutralize the carbomer first (which seems to be the case as you mention the breakdown of the gel)???  Haven’t done a gel myself with IPA but I don’t see any issues with IPA as there are tons of sanitizers with IPA in them. 

• gunther

March 10, 2020 at 11:12 pm

86% EtOH @70% will yield 60.2% total alcohol

That’s a bit low as studies show that 70 to 85% alcohol work better
    And even that fails to kill all bacteria or destroy some viruses

https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/guidelines/disinfection/disinfection-methods/chemical.html
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4623738/
    http://www.scielo.br/pdf/rlae/v21n2/0104-1169-rlae-21-02-0618.pdf

• amitvedakar

March 11, 2020 at 4:51 am
    I first neutralize then add IPA.-IPA 75% v/v.
    I make gel IPA sanitiser with 0.25% ACUPEC HV 701 EDR polymer. Nice gel.
    Will try to add Chlorhexidine.
  • Even

March 11, 2020 at 8:40 am

I would like to ask a question
    Are Hand sanitizers (contain  alcohol 75%) OTC product??
    Thanks for your help.

• chemist77

March 11, 2020 at 12:31 pm

No CHG Amit, cationic. Stick to Aqupec 701, one of the best I have used. 

• amitvedakar

March 12, 2020 at 4:15 am

Chemist77 said:

No CHG Amit, cationic. Stick to Aqupec 701, one of the best I have used. 

@Chemist77  Thank you.

• Agate

March 12, 2020 at 7:23 am

Even said:

I would like to ask a question
    Are Hand sanitizers (contain  alcohol 75%) OTC product??
    Thanks for your help.

You’ll have to check your local regulations on this.
    Where I live, hand sanitizers form their own regulatory group of biocidal chemical products which require specific efficacy testing if they contain any more than a total of 0.5%w/w additives to the water, alcohol and denaturant mix. They also require 70-80%v/v ethanol, or 60-80%v/v for IPA to avoid the testing requirement. Other countries I’ve heard require hand sanitizer production to take place in GMP-certified facilities. Just mentioning these as some things to look out for.
  • Anonymous

March 12, 2020 at 9:33 pm

Happy to be here. I live in Nigeria. I also made gel sanitisers and my formula is almost similar as @Belassi… however i didnt use polyethylene glycol and silense and glucam…. The gel came out okay but was not very clear though. I will try out this formula too…. 

• bill_toge

March 12, 2020 at 10:21 pm

for what it’s worth, aminomethyl propanol (AMP) is more soluble in alcohol, and forms more stable gels, than TEA

• Cafe33

March 13, 2020 at 12:31 am

What a coincidence, I made something similar today.

Phase A:

Q.S. - dH20
    0.3% - Carbopol 940 
    1.5% - Glycerine

Phase B

65% EtOH (96%) (Added Slowly under mixing)
    0.6 % Lavender essential oil
    0.3 % TEA 

(0.5% Lavender was more than enough to completely mask the smell of Alc)

Was not impressed with the thickness of the gel. Could it be from the excess lavender?

I have ultrez-20 and Pemulen in stock, I might try those. 

• belassi

March 13, 2020 at 2:08 am

I recommend you use Ultrez-20. 940 is a short-flow carbomer and Ultrez long-flow, has better sensorials and also gives clear gels in alcohol. Your 0.6% lavender EO seems too high for my liking, I used 0.1% and it’s quite noticeable and lasting at that level. It seemed to me that frequent use would produce lavender hands… the reason I used Glucam is that it’s similar to glycerin but much less sticky.
    Unfortunately I am out of stock of Ultrez and guess what? I cannot find any anywhere. Alternatives please?

• ozgirl

March 13, 2020 at 2:19 am

Belassi said:

Unfortunately I am out of stock of Ultrez and guess what? I cannot find any anywhere. Alternatives please?

You and the rest of the world I think. We are having major issues trying to obtain any polymer that can be used in Hand Sanitisers.
    I saw this video this morning from Belinda Carli at the institute of Personal Care  Science and she uses Sepimax Zen. You might still be able to get that.

• belassi

March 13, 2020 at 2:23 am

I suspect that the carbomer was coming out of Chinese factories.

• Cafe33

March 13, 2020 at 3:53 am

So I spoke too soon about the viscosity, I guess it takes some time to get thicker.

Belassi, I agree, 0.6% Lavender was overkill. I started with 0.1% but it still smelled very strongly of Alcohol. 

I thought about reaching for the Glucam but I am worried it will dull the scent. Am I correct to assume it could be a problem? 

Is Pemulen by Lubrizol possible for this application? I have it in stock and it seems to be available from a certain Mexican supplier.

• amitvedakar

March 13, 2020 at 4:19 am
    ACRYLATES/C10-30 ALKYL ACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER works fine
    The rate increased 25-30%.
    Packing materials one month waiting in india.
  • Agate

March 13, 2020 at 7:01 am
    Hand sanitizer is not a cosmetic. It is a biocidal product that people rely on for their safety.
    If you make a bad formula, you’re not just giving someone a bad hair day, you’re potentially playing a part in their grandmother’s death. Unless you get your product tested, you are under a moral
    obligation, and in some places a legal obligation to use least 70%v/v
    ethanol or 60%v/v IPA.
    Also, gelling agents are not an essential part of hand sanitizer and potentially compromising the efficacy of the product. Quote from the WHO Guide to Local Production:
    No data are available to assess the suitability of adding gelling agents to WHO-recommended liquid formulations, but this could increase potentially both production difficulties and costs, and may compromise antimicrobial efficacy.
    I’ve only ever seen liquid hand sanitizer used in the three hospitals I’ve worked in and dozens that I’ve visited. This was a deliberate choice in one of the most advanced health care systems in the world. So as a doctor, I choose to make the proven WHO formula for myself and my family:
  • Even

March 13, 2020 at 7:09 am

Thank you friends for your comments. @Agate
    Where can I check U.S. regulations for sanitiser?
    Sanitiser in my country is not the OTC Product. But I don’t know is it an OTC Product in the U.S. 

• Agate

March 13, 2020 at 7:43 am

@Even I’m not familiar with US regulations, I would start by checking with the FDA. My viewpoint is informed from research on the situation in Switzerland.

• Even

March 13, 2020 at 7:50 am

Thank you friends for your comments. @Agate

• GabyD

March 13, 2020 at 10:49 pm

Thanks @Agate for the WHO link. In your opinion, if you removed the Peroxide, how much effect would it have on the efficacy of the formula?

Page 1 of 3