Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Extracts, Natural Fragrance or Essential Oils?

• Extracts, Natural Fragrance or Essential Oils?

Posted by peacelovenaturals on March 7, 2020 at 4:02 pm

When scenting cosmetics which is preferred over the other, or when? Whatever your philosophy its said that extracts and EO have actual benefits where Natural Fragrances do not. Essential Oils can be very expensive, but so can extracts. EO don’t have a long lasting smell, last about an hour if that most times (and yes I use high quality oils) I have not worked with extracts yet though so I am unfamiliar with the strength of scent. I have always worked with EO. Their much easier to form the beautiful aromatic smell, but I also feel EO are more then just a fragrance and should be used carefully. I just recently purchased some of the same EO in Natural Fragrances…of course they do NOT smell the same and needless to say I’m having a bit more trouble achieving the scent I desire. Is their a standard for what is typically used in hair care formulations and why one would be preferred over the other? I am a more “organic” company so EO seem to fit the bill, but again the lasting power isn’t there and the expense can be high. Also many people are sensitive to some EO and their are even disclaimers for the use of some in certain cases….Any thoughts?

Linda105 replied 7 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Linda105

August 12, 2023 at 2:41 am

The choice between extracts, natural fragrances, and essential oils for making cosmetics depends on various factors, including the desired properties of the cosmetic product, the intended fragrance, potential sensitivities, and the overall formulation goals. Here’s a breakdown of each option:

1. Essential Oils:

• Benefits: Essential oils are concentrated extracts from plants that often carry the natural scent and potential therapeutic properties of the plant. They can provide both fragrance and potential skincare benefits, such as anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antioxidant properties.
      • Considerations: Essential oils are potent and need to be used carefully to avoid skin sensitization or irritation. Some people may also be allergic to specific essential oils. They can vary widely in cost due to factors like plant availability and extraction methods.
    2. Natural Fragrances:

• Benefits: Natural fragrances are blends of various aromatic compounds from natural sources, which can include essential oils, absolutes, resins, and other botanical extracts. They can offer a more complex and balanced fragrance compared to single essential oils.
      • Considerations: Natural fragrances can be less likely to cause skin sensitization since they are often formulated to have a milder impact. However, they might not offer the same potential therapeutic benefits as pure essential oils. Additionally, finding well-balanced and stable natural fragrances can be challenging.
    3. Extracts:

• Benefits: Extracts are derived from plant materials using solvents like water, alcohol, or oil. They can capture a broader range of compounds from the plant, potentially offering both fragrance and beneficial properties.
      • Considerations: Extracts might not always provide as strong a fragrance as essential oils or natural fragrances. They can be a good choice for incorporating the characteristics of a specific plant into a cosmetic product without overwhelming the scent.

Ultimately, the “best” choice depends on the specific goals of your cosmetic product and the preferences of your target audience. Here are some guidelines to help you decide:

• If you’re looking for strong, distinct scents with potential therapeutic benefits, essential oils could be a good choice. However, be cautious about potential sensitization and allergies.
    • If you want more complex and well-balanced fragrances that are less likely to cause sensitization, natural fragrances might be a better option.
    • If you’re interested in capturing a wider range of plant compounds beyond just fragrance, extracts could be a valuable addition.

Irrespective of which of these you go for, make sure you buy them from a good and reliable supplier. Sharing some of the good ones that I regularly trust.

https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/

https://aromachologyoils.com/collections/bulk-essential-oil-wholesaler Aromachology Oils