Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Glycolipids (Evonik Rheance 1) as a solubliser for essential oils in mouthwash

• Glycolipids (Evonik Rheance 1) as a solubliser for essential oils in mouthwash

Posted by Herbnerd on February 27, 2020 at 8:48 pm

Does anyone here have experience of using glycolipids (Rheance 1 by Evonik) as a solubliser for essential oils?

Using aniseed/peppermint/menthol blend for a mouthwash about 1.5% of the total formulation - and been using glycolipids at around 0.2% to 0.75% of the total formulation. (on tasting 1.5% essential oil blend is a bit too much, so will be reducing)
    I’m dispersing the oils into the Rheance one before adding to the aqueous phase.  The supplier info says glycolipids will produce a clear solution after 12 hours. At 24 hours, my solution is still milky.

I understand the glycolipids can be stirred in and cold processed - or am I misunderstanding the supplier information and should be homogenising?

The remaining solution is around 20% sorbitol solution 70%, 15% glycerol, water QS to 100% (citric acid, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate QS)

BTW - company requirements are to comply with COSMOS Natural standards for the finished product.

chemicalmatt replied 11 months, 4 weeks ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • myungtaeberry

April 3, 2023 at 5:23 pm

Please check the pH of the mouthwash. If the pH is below 5, it may become hazy. recommendation pH level is above 5.5

• ketchito

April 3, 2023 at 5:30 pm

You might need to add more of your glycolipids.

• chemicalmatt

April 4, 2023 at 10:52 am

@Herbnerd Do you have any safety assessment on the glycolipids being used? These are relatively new surfactants in the supply chain. Also how do these taste? I know the polyglycerol esters have been used extensively in food products as solubilizer-emulsifiers and have a longstanding safety profile.