Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Afro Hair Care

• Afro Hair Care

Posted by Sailor on November 26, 2014 at 9:54 am

Hi Guys,

I am in the middle of formulating afro hair care line and I have stumbled on a road block. My formulator deaks mostly with causcacian hair and is ( seems to me) not very familiar with Afro Hair.

I want to know if its a good idea to use Keratin, Hyaluron and Honey in hair conditioners. What would be the effect?

microformulation replied 9 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • microformulation

November 27, 2014 at 9:35 am

Not a big fan of honey in anything. Keratin is often used.

My best advice in regards to Ethnic Hair Care is to get back to basics and study the Anatomy and Physiology of the hair, especially in regard to the subtle differences in the different hair types. Knowing the A&P and the differences will clear up a lot for you.

If you need an experienced Formulator in this area I would suggest you reach out to Emily Bazemore at Ayari Cosmetics. I know her through SCC and I have sent many happy clients to her in this area.

• Anonymous

November 27, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Hi, not a formulator but a mum of daughter whose hair on bad day turn into Afro style weird looking wig. Her father’s family origin is going back to North Africa. She has gorgeous long curly hair and I have been always struggling to find for her right hair products. There have been such bad days (after using wrong hair products) when it took around 2 hours to just brush her hair. If her hair go too dry they are almost impossible to detangle. Over years I came to conclusion: to keep her hair healthy and looking good moisturizing is the key. And most of over counter hair products is not up to the job. Right now I regularly do for her hair oil treatments (Argan, Jojoba, Rosemary, Shea, Coconut, Castor etc). So I would say you need oils. I understand why your formulator suggest Keratin, Hyaluron and Honey but you need something that will provide plenty of moisturizing too (not just helping to retain moisture)

• Sailor

December 1, 2014 at 8:47 am

Oh Thanks a lot. I have already my contract formulator the go ahead to assist me with the formulation as they promised they can make afro hair care. Seems I should have consulted an independent consultant before making the move.

So Microforlumation, can you please tell me more why you do not like honey in hair products? And thanks also for the heads up. I will surely give Ms Bazemore a ring.
    MsNastya thanks for the feedback. Do you mind sharing with us which hair oil treatments you use? The suggested also has  coconut oil, crambe seed oil but I am afraid this is not sufficient to provide the needed conditioning to Afro hair. They also suggested glycerine.
  • microformulation

December 1, 2014 at 9:06 am