Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating formulating shampoo with vegetable oil

• formulating shampoo with vegetable oil

Posted by Anonymous on November 25, 2014 at 9:01 pm
    Hello,

I would like to develop a formulation for shampoo using Lauryl Glucoside, decyl glucoside, water and some vegetable oils such as avocado oil and coconut oil. I was wondering if you knew of a surfactant that allows to mix the 2 phases without having to boil them.

Thanks for your tips.
    chemist1 replied 9 years, 3 months ago 8 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • belassi

November 25, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Those are two heavy oils you have there. Not that easy to emulsify. In general, surfactants can emulsify oils, but those two surfactants are outside my experience so I’ll leave it to others to comment further. You realise, that adding oil to shampoo kills the foam?

• chemist77

November 26, 2014 at 12:31 am

http://www.dove.us/Products/Hair/Advanced-Hair-Series/Pure-Care-Dry-Oil-Shampoo.aspx

If you look at the fatty acid profile of the vegetable oils used you would notice that they have very high unsaturation and it seems that the formula has accepted well these 2 oils somewhere in the range of
    0.10-0.25%, the formula itself is a simple one and I am supposing that it should give you a fair lead to start.

• Anonymous

November 26, 2014 at 2:36 am

I am looking for an emulsifier that allows water and oil to mix without boiling. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

• chemist77

November 26, 2014 at 3:05 am

I am guessing a solubilizer here, anyone for a chip in?????

• mrylka

November 26, 2014 at 3:36 am

What about Tego Solve 61 from Evonik? I’ve never used it but I have a booklet about it and it can be used in a room temperature.

• chemist77

November 26, 2014 at 3:40 am

@mrylka That sounds just about it, can load high oil content as mentioned in literature.

• ssdc

November 26, 2014 at 4:37 am

care to explain how oil reduce foaming?

• chemist77

November 26, 2014 at 4:40 am

@ ssdc

One word surface tension!!!!!!!

• Liset

November 26, 2014 at 10:29 am

I think you can use the two surfactants to make the emulsion. You don´t have to boil the mixture but you will have to apply vacuum in the homogenization process for better emulsion formation. Also you can increase the stability of the emulsion increasing the viscosity of the water phase. In my opinion oils can help to produce highly stable foam depending on their concentration in the formulation.

Give it a try :-)

• bobzchemist

November 26, 2014 at 10:58 am

Lauryl and Decyl Glucoside are emulsifiers.

Please don’t waste our time without researching your ingredients first.
  • nasrins

November 26, 2014 at 11:49 am

@bobzchemist I should be careful about my future questions
    :-S :-SS

• Anonymous

November 26, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Thanks for all the tips. I believe I have found the right emulsifier that can help mix water and oil without having to boil the ingredients.

Bobzchemist - I don’t think you are getting what I am trying to achieve. Thanks for taking the time to post on this thread tough.
  • bobzchemist

November 26, 2014 at 10:57 pm
    I get a bit of what you are trying to achieve, but you have not explained it all that well.

For example, it is NEVER needed to actually boil any ingredients in order to make any kind of emulsion.
  • chemist1

December 8, 2014 at 1:06 pm

If you want to add a large amount of oils to a surfactant product, try the Iselux SLC. It is a structured surfactant.