Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating how to use Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate?

• how to use Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate?

Posted by tinas on February 19, 2020 at 10:58 am

I love the foam of SCI, and as “expected” - the fluid turned to a white thick paste when cooling down. I so much like to use this ingrediens in my foam bottle - gentle face wash - is there any guidelines? It has to be fluid enought to use a foamer bottle 

Umff replied 3 years, 12 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Cafe33

February 19, 2020 at 5:42 pm

Not a simple ingredient to use especially if you attempt to dissolve it in water.  

• tinas

February 20, 2020 at 7:18 am

ok, I know

• Umff

April 1, 2020 at 7:05 pm

I have also fallen head over heel for this SCI - any advice to incorpate this in a shampoo with SCS as primary ?

• lmosca

April 1, 2020 at 8:00 pm

SCI is just not soluble in cold water. 
    The solubility @25 °C is 0.01%.

If you can, switch to Ammonium cocoyl isethionate (ACI), which is supplied as a solution.

Otherwise you’ll have to use a co-surfactant to shift the solubilization equilibrium to the right place. CAPB is perhaps the most used for this purpose.
    I remember from a paper that a mixture of Polysorbate 20 and 80 (10%, 15% respectively) can solubilize 7% of SCI.

SLS and SLES do not solubilize SCI (at 10%, they solubilize less than 1%), so SCS will not be different from those.

Alternatively, if you have them at hand, you can use a 1:1.5 weight ratio between SCI and ammonium lauryl sulfate (ALS) or ALES (or both). The excess of ammonium ions in solution will screw up the thermodynamics of the SCI lattice formation. 

If you want a facial cleanser, then you can formulate up to 30% of SCI with 10% of an emulsifier (polawax, e-wax, to keep it cheap). This should give a lotion-y like opaque cleanser.

• Cafe33

April 2, 2020 at 2:56 am

I have successfully made a 8% SCI using 12% SLSa and 10% CAPB (30% Active). Thickens very well, but expensive. 

Excellent for face but I personally found that it doesn’t clean the body well enough. 

• ngarayeva001

April 2, 2020 at 2:51 pm

Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate is similar to SCI in mildness and performance but is water-soluble. SCI is only good for syndets.

• Umff

April 2, 2020 at 9:43 pm

thank so veru much… back to the drawing table :)