Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Starting a cosmetic line Sunscreen Manufacturing and development questions

Tagged: 

• Sunscreen Manufacturing and development questions

Posted by Anonymous on January 13, 2020 at 4:11 pm

Hello Everyone 

My company is currently looking to develop a sunscreen I always knew sunscreens were an issue since the FDA is so strict on them however most labs are telling me it will take 6 months to finish development due to all the testing involved is this the case or is there a way to do this faster

We want to create a high micronized Zinc (15%-20%) universal tint mattifying sunscreen.

dr-catherine-pratt replied 4 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • oldperry

January 13, 2020 at 5:35 pm

That sounds about right. You can’t speed up a stability test.  Maybe you could speed things up by working with a Private Label company or Contract Manufacturer that already has a tested formula. But if you’re starting fresh and changing things, 6 months or more sounds about right.

• dr-catherine-pratt

January 16, 2020 at 5:08 pm

Perry is right, although in Australia if you are doing a tint, the sunscreen can be labelled as a secondary ingredient. Therefore, no tests need to be done!

• dr-catherine-pratt

January 16, 2020 at 5:10 pm

Also considering our dollar is so crap at the moment, it might just be a wise decision to have it  developed and manufactured here. Why not??