Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Grape fruit oils and lavender oil

• Grape fruit oils and lavender oil

Posted by dtdang on December 25, 2019 at 10:20 pm

Grape fruit and lavender oil are good for kin? 

Anyone has experience on these?

have wonderful Christmas & new year 

Anonymous replied 4 years, 2 months ago 9 Members · 26 Replies
  • 26 Replies
  • Maryvel

January 7, 2020 at 7:15 pm

I use lavender oil in many creams because I have allergies to synthetic fragrances, it works very well for me. Grapefruit in shampoo. very nice aroma.

• ngarayeva001

January 8, 2020 at 12:51 pm

No, no, no and no again. There is no proof that essential oils have significant skin benefits, but there is a lot of proof that essential oils are phototoxic and cytotoxic. They just smell good. No other function.

• emanuelsf

January 8, 2020 at 7:09 pm

Ngarayeva001, I think you should read more, than

• dtdang

January 9, 2020 at 1:05 am

To all experts on essential oils. 

I am very new on essential oils. Please 
    share your experiences and any documents that we can trust.

thanks all for inputs 

• ngarayeva001

January 9, 2020 at 12:23 pm
  • ngarayeva001

January 9, 2020 at 12:24 pm

@emanuelsf, if you can prove me wrong you are welcome to share your sources.

• natzam44

January 9, 2020 at 2:13 pm

I agree with @ngarayeva001

There is no evidence that essential oils have any benefits for the skin or hair. They act only as fragrances when in formulas but they are easily outshined by fragrance oils.

As for grapeseed oil, I dont think there is much scientific evidence that it benefits the skin. Many of the oils used in cosmetics are still unproven because the use of “natural” oils in cosmetics is a rather new trend.

• ngarayeva001

January 9, 2020 at 3:10 pm

I might be biased but I trust “synthetics” more than pseudo-natural ingredients. 

• Maryvel

January 9, 2020 at 4:27 pm
    I buy only 100% pure essential oils, direct from the distillation factory. Lavender e.o. works very well for my dermatitis. This is only my opinion and experience, really the use of synthetic fragrance is cheaper, but for me is a toxic way. I tested many synthetic fragrances on my skin, and 100% of them cause allergies. The same for the shampoo, many allergies with Pantene for example, then I make my own shampoo with grapefruit essential oil and no allergies on my scalp. I respect formulators that use synthetic fragrances, but I can´t use them. Lavender essential oils have many scientific studies around the world about the properties.  This is my opinion and experience. I use not only like a fragrance, but I also use it like an active. Have a great day.

• doreen

January 9, 2020 at 5:09 pm
    @Maryvel
    (…) I tested many synthetic fragrances on my skin, and 100% of them cause allergies. (…)

Did you have an allergy test done in the hospital, or did you test some fragrances yourself?

• Maryvel

January 9, 2020 at 6:07 pm

Both. I stopped to use dermatology medicines on my skin, since 2006, because I started to make my own creams, and soaps, all with lavender e.o. It was very difficult to buy a “real” lavender e.o. there are many false and adulterated in the market. Now my cousin in France sends me directly from the factory to me in Mexico. But I think in the U.S.A. people can get very good quality. I send a sample of the e.o. at that moment for chromatography, the test was o.k. but this analysis is expensive. I learned about essential oils in my master degree, I developed an intelligence artificial control in distillation equipment, then chromatography was very useful for my work.

• Cafe33

January 9, 2020 at 6:19 pm

Hi Maryvel, I am living in Mexico and I found the ingredients here to be of high quality. As far as the Lavender, I think you are correct, I have noticed a difference. I recommend the lavender from Essential Wholesale in the USA. Getting through customs was not great because they insist on using UPS which in my opinion is a very bad idea for Mexico.  

• oldperry

January 9, 2020 at 7:07 pm

If this sort of thing bothers you, lavender has also been shown to be a hormone disrupter. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa064725
    So, it’s not without its risks.

• Maryvel

January 9, 2020 at 8:34 pm
    Hi, Perry thank you very much for the link. By the way: Have a Happy New Year! About this issue, I used cream and soap with lavender since 2006. The cream for my skin I stopped using in 2011 because my dermatitis is calm. But I still using soap. Each end of the year for terms of my private medical care I need to make a global analysis of my health. My profile hormones were ok (November 2019) only an issue about my level of glucose now in control. I haven´t a hormonal effect of lavender e.o. also I never use in pure form on my skin, the same for the rest of e.o. I use only in very low percentages in my formulations. It is hard to say about what is sure and what isn´t sure to use. Recently I read the complete document of the case of study of phenoxyethanol, by SCCS, I was thinking it was a very safe preservative, but now I´m not sure. Really all is a risk, it depends on the percentages and the frequency of use.
    Also, I want to thank you to give you all this platform to exchange ideas and experience. You are the best.
    This is the link to phenoxyethanol SCCS review.

• Maryvel

January 9, 2020 at 8:39 pm

Thank you for your comments. Cafe33

• Maryvel

January 9, 2020 at 8:42 pm
    Perry: I meant I want to thank you to give us this platform… sorry the english isn´t my mother language. Warm Regards.
  • Cafe33

January 9, 2020 at 10:26 pm

I am in no means an expert but I am still on the fence about essential oils. The consensus from experts on this forum seems to be that EOs are simply fragrance compounds with no other benefits and potential skin irritants. 

I recently formulated a Syndet Facial bar with 0.4% Tea Tree Oil which is touted for its anti bacterial properties and it left my face with red patches and irritated for a while. I think they are complex compounds and should be investigated thoroughly before being added to a product. 

• oldperry

January 9, 2020 at 11:47 pm

Thanks @Maryvel! I’m happy to have you as a participant in the forum.

• dtdang

January 10, 2020 at 3:16 pm

I surprise that there are no research information about EO.
    I have used lavender oil with only 0.75%. 
    Information of lavender oil in webmd: 
    https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-838/lavender

I plan to open a new topic on EO 

• natzam44

January 10, 2020 at 3:21 pm

@Dtdang
    I wouldn’t use WebMD as a source when it comes to ingredients in cosmetics. I find that they often exaggerate both the uses of a drug/ingredient and exaggerate the side-effects. For the most part, they seem to list all of the claims made about a product and call it a day.

• markj187

January 17, 2020 at 2:34 am

When I was starting out with this hobby, I was a very very BIG fan of essential oils. I have a box of various essential oils (until now). I thought EO is better because it is natural. I prefer fragrance oils now. Why?

1. I got a very bad skin burn with orange, lemon and bergamot EO that I put in a body wash. Even after rinsing off, I got a phototoxic reaction. It took 3 weeks before the irritation, pain, and prickly feeling to subside.

2. Tea tree and lavender are endocrine disruptors. They cause males to develop breasts. They also interfere with women’s hormones.

3. Some EOs can cause seizures.

Use EOs at your own risk.

References:
    https://factor.niehs.nih.gov/2019/9/feature/3-feature-lavender/index.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4782146/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4096528

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28905185

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7333081

• dtdang

January 17, 2020 at 3:56 pm

Thanks @markj187 for great EO information!

• dtdang

January 17, 2020 at 4:01 pm

@markj187, does sandalwood oil have benefits for skin?

• Maryvel

January 17, 2020 at 11:52 pm
  • Maryvel

January 18, 2020 at 12:03 am
    When I add a specific % of essential oil into a formula, I think the quantity of grams of the plant were used to produce the % of oil I want to add.
    For example if one plant has a yield of 2% of essential oil in the distillation process, this means it is used a high volume of the plant to produce a few milliliters of essential oils, for this reason when I formulate with essential oils I used only a few drops.  Citrus oils I used only in shampoo, not for skin.

Page 1 of 2