Suggestion for natural preservatives

Hi,

I’m testing a natural based shampoo formula, unfortunately I can’t post the formula but it contains high level of herbal extraction, natural oils (coconut/almond, etc.) as well as proteins, like hydrolyzed wheat protein, silk protein and other active ingredients.

I’d like to know what would you recommend for a “natural” based preservatives that would suit this kind of product. I don’t need a 2 years shelf life and  I’m completely fine with preservation system that will keep the product well for about 6 months. Please exclude all Parabens and  Phenoxyethanol related preservatives.

Also, I was wondering if any of these combination of preservatives will be sufficient for this kind of product?

1.Linatural MBS – 1 (Propanediol (and) Ethylhexylglycerin (and) Potassium Sorbate)
2. Geogard Ultra (Gluconolactone (and) Sodium Benzoate)
3.Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate

And if so, I’d appreciate if you can recommend (in grams and milliliters) the best dosage for each of these preservatives to be used, for example in a 1000ml sample batch container.

Thank you very much.
Mack

Comments

• MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    Of the options you have listed, Linatural MBS would be your best choice as it would be effective over a wider pH range.  Load it at 1.0% to 1.5%
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com
  • Thank you for the suggestion.