Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Plantaren APB

• Plantaren APB

Posted by belassi on November 14, 2014 at 1:13 am

I’ve ordered some of this to see if it’s as mild as it looks it might be. 

“Plantaren® APB is a high active surfactant concentrate containing an optimal combination of high foaming anionic surfactants, a high purity alkanolamide and an alkyl polyglycoside. It can be diluted to yield high foaming shampoos, shower gels, and liquid hand soaps with excellent viscosity potentiation.” From BASF Mexico. 
    ozgirl replied 9 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • belassi

November 15, 2014 at 1:26 pm

This is interesting. While waiting for my consignment of Plantaren APB to arrive, I did a bit of looking around and discovered this formulation for shaving gel.

Note that part (C) 5 is actually Plantaren APB although they don’t say so! (How Lubrizol expect a formulator to make this up without specifying that several items are a proprietary blend is beyond me.)
    I’ve got all the ingredients to make this, so when the Plantaren arrives I will try that formula.
    I see that according to the data it makes a nice shampoo at only 20% concentration so it might be quite an economical choice.
  • eperfumes

November 16, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Thank you for the good information @Belassi it actually looks like a nice project to try I just wonder about the smell I suppose a 1% fragrance could be added and also I would probably add a small percentage of calendula extract for marketing purposes

• ozgirl

November 16, 2014 at 11:31 pm

I am wondering about the Lauramide DEA content of the Plantaren APB blend. Is this subject to the same classification as Cocamide DEA with regards to it being a possible carcinogen (Lauramide DEA is the major component of Cocamide DEA).

It is probably worth checking with BASF, You don’t want to start using a blend and then run into regulatory or customer perception issues and then have to reformulate your product.

• belassi

November 17, 2014 at 12:05 am

@ozgirl:a valid concern. it is in the spec. that the DEAL is very high purity. 1 ppm dioxane according to test data. The E.U. criteria for ingested dioxane is <=5ppm and shampoo is a rinse-off product.

@eperfumes: Yes, I agree, I’ll try 1% fragrance. As usual I expect that I will have to experiment with fragrances to avoid compromising thickness.
  • ozgirl

November 17, 2014 at 9:39 pm

I was actually referring to the carcinogenicity issues related to the Diethanolamine (DEA) content of the Lauramide DEA rather than the dioxane content but both are worth considering.