Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Difference in mildness btwn Glycinate & Glutamate surfactants?

Tagged: 

• Difference in mildness btwn Glycinate & Glutamate surfactants?

Posted by MJL on December 8, 2019 at 12:27 am

Hi there, 

I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge about whether or not there is any difference in mildness between Sodium Cocoyl Glycinate and Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate surfactants? 

I have attempted my own research on this matter but haven’t been able to come up with anything.
    MJL replied 4 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • oldperry

December 8, 2019 at 6:01 pm

You can find the safety information here.  I don’t really see any mildness differences.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9zdfp1l68z4zxr/glutamate-safety.pdf?dl=0

• MJL

December 8, 2019 at 8:05 pm

Thank you, @Perry! 

• pharma

December 8, 2019 at 8:50 pm

Check out Ajinomoto, they are the ones who invented these surfactants (or at least managed to produce it large scale).

• MJL

December 14, 2019 at 7:05 am

Thank you so much, @Pharma!

• MJL

December 17, 2019 at 12:04 am

I just thought I would post this here if it could be helpful to anyone else.

According to the manufacturer website @Pharma provided (thanks again!), the amino acid surfactants Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate and Sodium Cocoyl Glycinate are both considered to be quite mild.

However, the Glutamate ones are described by them as “moisturizing, mild, and soft” as well as “hypoallergenic.” While the Glycinate ones are described as “leaving the skin feeling ‘fresh’ without leaving it taut” and as having “high foaming properties.”

So I would say that based on the descriptions by one of the pioneers and major manufacturers of these surfactants, the Glutamate would probably be most ideal for anyone seeking the mildest option. 

• oldperry

December 19, 2019 at 3:50 pm

@MJL - Thanks for the update. I would just caution you that marketing information gotten from a raw material manufacturer should only be used as a general guideline and not a definitive assessment of the performance of an ingredient. 

Those descriptions were most likely written by marketers, not the scientists who know about the ingredient chemistry.

• MJL

December 23, 2019 at 10:39 am

Thank you for the reminder to stay critically minded, @Perry!