Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Something wicked this way comes

• Something wicked this way comes

Posted by Beaver on November 10, 2014 at 10:05 am

I came across this article a few days ago and all weekend I was thinking about how it could possibly change the outlook of our industry. 

I won’t spoil the fun but please read and share your thoughts on how you see this playing out. 

Beaver replied 9 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • bobzchemist

November 10, 2014 at 11:43 am

Never going to happen. Too many vested interests, too much proprietary information, and the number of people worried about fragrance allergies is much too small. Something most people don’t know is that most consumer product companies do not make their own fragrances - and the fragrance companies themselves refuse to divulge the ingredients they use.

That said, I can definitely see this happen on a voluntary basis in the natural products segment of the personal care industry.
  • belassi

November 10, 2014 at 11:53 am

I’ve no idea what’s in the fragrances and it is a nuisance.

• heraklit

November 10, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Also in Europe there are discussions about more allergens. Our labels are going to become books!..
    http://www.premiumbeautynews.com/en/eu-expert-panel-paves-the-way-to-a,4396

• Beaver

November 10, 2014 at 1:23 pm

@Bobzchemist I partially agree with you on the vested interests and the extent of proprietary information but this is how I see the story play out:  

Once the top companies start rolling out this declaration program, their marketing will dive in and try to induce the fear of non-declared ingredients with shiny claims on the labels and 60 second long tv ads. 

Then the natural segment will jump in and start campaigning, blogs and seminar over how perfumers are poisoning the the public and soon enough, you and I will be forced to work with fragrance houses that will divulge their ingredients. I really don’t see a way out of this. Fragrance houses have had the luxury of not declaring their ingredients because the public didn’t know that there’s more than one ingredient in a fragrance.  

@Belassi My favourites are those that turn your generic SLS/betaine shampoo into a tub of jello at 0.5%.