Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Replicating a lush product!

• Rahma

November 4, 2014 at 5:02 pm
    Hi everyone!

I love experimenting with making products at home and so far, I have been successful however I stumbled across a product that uses ingredients that I have not used before and I am slightly confused how to go about it! here is the ingredient list.

Water (Aqua) , Irish Moss Powder (Chondrus crispus) , Fullers Earth , Cetearyl Alcohol , Fragrance , Irish Moss Decoction (Chondrus Crispus) , Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera) , Cold Pressed Organic Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia chinensis) , Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis) , Peppermint Oil (Mentha piperita) , Rosemary Absolute , Chamomile Blue Oil (Matricaria Chamomilla) , Soya Lecithin , Glycerine , Yeast , Red Henna (Lawsonia inermis) , Lanolin , Cetrimonium Bromide , Propylene Glycol , Glycerl Stearate & Peg - 100 Stearate , *Eugenol , *Limonene , *Linalool

This is a scalp and hair treatment and the consistency is smooth. See link below to see consistency.

Can’t wait to hear from you guys!
  • chemist77

November 4, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Just as you use other mineral clays in masks and similar products (e.g. china clay) here Fullers earth has been used, secondly the LOI seems to be completely misguiding after Fragrance. Normal cationic emulsion with cetostearyl alcohol as thickener and Glyceryl stearate & Peg-100 Stearate as emulsion stabilizer. Maybe lecithin too is giving some form of backup to stabilization of the emulsion. I am guessing (and plz correct me if I am wrong) the mineral clay too is contributing to the thickening and stabilization of emulsion here. 

• IrinaTudor

November 5, 2014 at 3:03 am

What ingredients are you missing?

I would say: leave the essential oils out and the fragrance (there is a difference here the ‘fragrance’ can be any kind of mixture of aromatic raw materials) and make an unscented version first. Lush make their products (to look) like food so use ‘fluff’ natural ingredients that don’t add much to the performance. Basically this a mixture of hydrated powders to be used as a hair mask (there was a thread on this a while ago). It makes for a messy and slimy product (I bought and tried it, it smells nice but that’s about it).
    So you need to ask yourself: what is it about this product that you actually like or is it the fluff that you’re after?
    Good luck!
    p.s Lush overdose their products with fragrance like crazy, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the fragrance comprised 5%-10% of the final formula.
  • Rahma

November 5, 2014 at 4:16 am

Thanks for your replies. @Irina, I have all ingredients and I am looking for something to soothe scalp and condition the hair and I have never used clay based masks for hair so wanted to make one. Did you use this particular product?

• IrinaTudor

November 5, 2014 at 6:36 am

Yes, I did try this product. Not on my own hair and scalp (I suffer from eczema & allergies) but on some willing volunteers. It’s a product that it’s very messy, it has a very unattractive feel (slimy), ugly color (swap green gray) and major rinse-off problems. The only good thing, as most Lush products, it smells good ;)

I would say pick a bench mark scalp conditioner formula and tweak it to your liking. You’ll be better off. 
    Here you go, for example
  • Rahma

November 5, 2014 at 8:46 am

@Irina, thanks.