Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Salicylic Acid 40% Gel

Tagged: ,

• Salicylic Acid 40% Gel

Posted by jessah on October 9, 2019 at 10:04 am

Hi everyone,

I need some advise on how to dissolve the Salicylic acid..
    We made before 30% gel and it worked., but then with this 40% it wont dissolve anymore with ETOH..
    is it safe to use acetone instead? because i read that it is soluble in acetone but the thing is im not that sure if it is safe to use. help anyone?

Thank you

amitvedakar replied 4 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • chemicalmatt

October 11, 2019 at 4:47 pm

jessah: STOP there at 30% salicylic aid. That’s my advice. You have wart remover there, not a skin-care product.

• jessah

October 12, 2019 at 4:38 am

jessah: STOP there at 30% salicylic aid. That’s my advice. You have wart remover there, not a skin-care product.

Hi! apparently i am working in a compounding pharmacy, and we are compounding upon the Doctor’s prescription/requests. So this 40% its the Doctor’s request from us either gel/lotion but then ive searched online and it seems i have no luck in finding formulation for 40%. 

• fekher

October 12, 2019 at 12:57 pm

@jessah  you must use 40% salicylic aid in gel form? 

• jessah

October 12, 2019 at 1:24 pm

Fekher said:

@jessah  you must use 40% salicylic aid in gel form? 

Salicylic acid 40% Gel or lotion.. If i have both formulas, its so much better

• jessah

October 12, 2019 at 1:27 pm

We’ve tried 5 trials for salicylic acid 40% gel, but still none of them worked.. For lotion i dont have any formulas found online thats why i cannot start with it. 

• fekher

October 12, 2019 at 2:21 pm

@jessah i got an idea making  40% salicylic aid product but it is not gel neither  lotion so it dosen’t work with you such idea .

• belassi

October 12, 2019 at 3:25 pm

This does not surprise me. I just read an article in the NY Times about Compounding Pharmacies. Apparently a lot of what they make is dangerous and unregulated and there have been a LOT of lawsuits.

• amitvedakar

October 14, 2019 at 8:41 am

We make 6% & 12% salicylic acid formulation. That is ointment (jelly) base.