Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hydrotopes

Tagged: 

• Hydrotopes

Posted by Aanchal on September 15, 2019 at 8:25 pm

1.What percentage of surfactants (in a water based formula) makes it necessary to add hydrotope to the formula? Are hydrotopes at all needed? 

2. Do hydrotopes affect viscosity of the final product? When should we add them? 

Aanchal replied 4 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Aanchal

September 16, 2019 at 8:03 pm

Anyone?

• oldperry

September 17, 2019 at 12:43 pm

@Aanchal - Your questions are not clear enough so that is probably why you are not getting any responses. Can you explain a bit more what you want to know?

1. What type of formulas are you talking about? If you’re using surfactants, a hydrotrope is not necessarily needed. But you can use one if you want. Your question just isn’t specific enough.

2. They can affect viscosity. It depends on the formula. When to add them? It depends on the formula. For what purpose are you adding the hydrotope and to what formula?

Specific questions will get better answers than vague questions.

• Aanchal

September 19, 2019 at 10:02 am

@Perry
    Hi Perry ! 

Thanks for your answer despite my obscure query. 

I am talking of household cleaner with a mix of surfactants that exceed 10% active ingredients. (It has Labsa and caustic soda as the primary components)

I am attaching an image with a red mark where I want to point to read and link to the same. This I came accross while randomly searching for some other query. 

It mentions about hydrotopes. 

https://books.google.com/books/about/Surfactants_in_Consumer_Products.html?id=SjvtCAAAQBAJ

• pharma

September 19, 2019 at 6:54 pm

Just a side note: You mean hydroTropes, not hydrotopes. A hydrotope is a landscaping expression for water containing habitats such as ponds and fountains ;) .

• Aanchal

September 20, 2019 at 10:00 am

Pharma said:

Just a side note: You mean hydroTropes, not hydrotopes. A hydrotope is a landscaping expression for water containing habitats such as ponds and fountains ;) .

Oh, I have misspelled it  ! 

Yes, Hydrotropes ,I meant 

• Aanchal

September 20, 2019 at 10:14 am

So my query was ,

“dishwashing  detergents with surfactants concentration exceeding 10% need auxiliary components like Hydrotropes which increase the solubility of surfactants in water and ensure clear, homogenous and storable, stable product.”

How true is the above statement?

• oldperry

September 20, 2019 at 12:49 pm

@Aanchal - that depends on what detergent you are using. If you were using a detergent like Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, it is rather soluble in water and you wouldn’t need a hydrotrope to make a clear, homogenous, product.

• chemist77

September 20, 2019 at 4:43 pm

Yeah there are hydrotropes used in applications as mentioned by you @Aanchal. Where the active matter is pretty high and the solubility/clarity is difficult to achieve for longer periods. Cumene sulfonate/xylene sulfonate salts of sodium are the most commonly used one. 

• Aanchal

September 24, 2019 at 10:21 am

@Perry Thanks for your reply. So the application of hydrotropes is in achieving clear, homogenous product? The solubility or rinsing off after the product is used on surfaces like metals do not need Hydrotropes, may I conclude? 

• Aanchal

September 24, 2019 at 10:25 am

@Chemist77

Thanks. The text in the link I shared above says that more than 10% active matter (surfactants is the word there) calls for addition of hydrotropes. 10% is easily crossed while trying to achieve better performance and viscosity.

I do not see any turbidity or difficulty in achieving solubility while mixing the contents and getting product ready. But this statement got me thinking !