Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry labeling ingredients on my product

• labeling ingredients on my product

Posted by BekaS on September 11, 2019 at 3:38 pm

If I use something like Baobab protein in a spray mist but the supplier I got the protein from preserved it with benzyl alcohol and potassium benzoate, would I have to factor that into the ingredients label of my finished product?

BekaS replied 4 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • oldperry

September 11, 2019 at 4:29 pm

Yes, you should label those preservatives.

The purpose of an ingredient list is to let consumers know what chemicals they will be exposed to. If you know there is benzyl alcohol and potassium benzoate in your formula, you have to tell consumers.  And Benzyl Alcohol is a known allergen so it’s even more important.

• BekaS

September 11, 2019 at 4:43 pm

Is there anyway to get those kind of ingredients without any added preservatives? I haven’t been able to find any and want to try and keep the formula as toxin free as possible with few ingredients 

• microformulation

September 11, 2019 at 5:40 pm
    How are those preservatives”toxic?”  What is their LD50? Benzyl alcohol is an irritant, not really “toxic” per se. 
    Not picking on you, but you need to balance “story” (“natural”, “Organic”) with cost and performance. A great product is well balanced.
  • BekaS

September 11, 2019 at 6:23 pm

Sorry I’m new and not very good at this. I want it to seem as natural and safe as possible.

• microformulation

September 11, 2019 at 6:32 pm
    No offense intended. It is normal that you are initially exposed to sources that espouse “natural” and “chemophobia.” As you get deeper into the subject, especially if you formulate (Formulators shouldn’t sell and sellers shouldn’t Formulate IMHO), you will start to see a great deal of misinformation. If you use a source as a reference, my advice is;
    • Ensure that they have footnotes to reputable Journal sources.
    • The Author has valid credentials.
    • The source is not selling a product as this is a conflict of interest. “Is the information they passing true education or are they trying to sell you a product?”
  • oldperry

September 11, 2019 at 7:07 pm

Being “natural” and “safe” are two different things. Many “natural” things are not safe and shouldn’t be put on people’s skin.  

“Safe” things are ingredients that have been safety tested and been proven to be safe. Both synthetic and natural things have to be tested for safety before being put into cosmetic products.

Creating products without preservatives is not safe.

• BekaS

September 11, 2019 at 9:17 pm

Thank you both for your responses! I’ll definitely look into this a lot more and get a little more educated.