Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cost per formula

• Cost per formula

Posted by Royalbre on September 9, 2019 at 3:07 am

Hello,
    I am starting a new line of  soap & cleaning product for our business and I have found a couple chemist to formulate my unique product. One chemist is asking $500per formula creation. Is this a good price?

I am open to all suggestions 

Royalbre replied 4 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Sibech

September 9, 2019 at 4:23 am

@Royalbre That is very very cheap, so cheap in fact that I would either: A) Find another one or B) Get the contract read through by another chemist to check for what is NOT included in that price and a lawyer to make sure it is enforcable.

• microformulation

September 9, 2019 at 2:39 pm
    Is that Chemist an independent Formulator or does he work at the Contract Manufacturer? Oftentimes a CM will Formulate for these low prices (I will not) but you a. get this price only if you manufacture with them as well and b. you do not own the Formula (IP), they do. Read the contracts closely.
  • gunther

September 9, 2019 at 3:43 pm

Sibech said:

@Royalbre That is very very cheap, so cheap in fact that I would either: A) Find another one or B) Get the contract read through by another chemist to check for what is NOT included in that price and a lawyer to make sure it is enforcable.

Agree. That’s cheap, unless he’s located in a developing country where $500 is a lot of money.

Anyone can copy/paste formulas from the Internet
    but a real chemist will:

- Tell you exactly where to buy all the required chemicals in your specific country/region
    - Provide some insight on how to manufacture large batches of it. Large scale manufacturing is a bit different than mixing small amounts in a beaker.
    Probably the above are not included and mean an extra fee. Totally worth the extra fee, by the way.

• Royalbre

September 10, 2019 at 3:02 am

Thank you everyone. The chemist charge an extra fee for more information.

• Royalbre

September 10, 2019 at 3:18 am

Can someone give me an average price per formula from a chemist, that includes full contract, ingredients list and where to buy and insight on manufacturers large & small scales.