Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Dry skin scrub formula

• Dry skin scrub formula

Posted by Lindsey1009 on August 27, 2019 at 9:09 pm

Hi guys,

I would like to make a sugar body scrub for dry skin. I came across this formulation online. I would love to tweak it a bit by adding an ingredient that will help with evening out skin tone. I was thinking about a small % of AHA or something similar. I did hear that it can be problematic to mix AhA in a scrub with a physical exfoliator like sugar. Do any of you have a recommendation of an ingredient that will work in this formula?

EMULSIFIED SUGAR SCRUB FOR DRY SKIN

HEATED OIL PHASE

10% emulsifying wax or Polawax

10% cetyl alcohol

10% cocoa, sal, illipe or kokum butter

10% butter of choice

30% soy bean oil

26% olive oil 

COOL DOWN PHASE

1% Vitamin E

2% fragrance or essential oil

1% preservative 

End: add sugar 50/50

Lindsey1009 replied 4 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ngarayeva001

August 27, 2019 at 10:21 pm

Mixing physical and chemical exfoliators in one product is a bad idea. Not every skin will be able to tolerate that. Also, you won’t be able to incorporate AHAs to this formula. All AHAs I am aware of are watersoluble.

Just wondering, is that humblebee and me formula?

• TriciaLynne

August 28, 2019 at 12:44 am

I agree with ngarayeva001

I would also be concerned if this product was used on a larger area of the skin because of how sensitive AHA can make your skin to UV rays. To my understanding, if you use AHA that area of skin needs to be covered in sunblock up to a week after use.

Even if you intend for this scrub to be used on small portions of the skin, you never know what the user will do.

• ngarayeva001

August 28, 2019 at 5:42 am

@TriciaLynne, good point. Acids increase photosensitivity. But AHAs are great and the problem can be solved with a sunscreen. The main issue here is that AHAs should sit on the surface. Applying them on damaged skin is a bad idea. And skin scratched with uneven sugar particles is damaged.

• Lindsey1009

August 29, 2019 at 2:50 pm

I see. Thank you guys for your input. Much appreciated