Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Science What tests would you use to determine the “best” ingredient?

• What tests would you use to determine the “best” ingredient?

Posted by oldperry on July 29, 2019 at 8:02 am

Suppose you had an ingredient competition to determine which ingredient is the “best” for some specific application.  What series of tests would you use to determine which ingredient is the “best”?

For example, I’m of the opinion that Petrolatum is the best skin occlusive agent. The test run to show this would be a TEWL study.  So, if someone wanted to make the claim that a new ingredient was superior to Petrolatum (in terms of skin moisturization) all they would have to do is show a TEWL study showing it to be true. 

What tests would you run for any of the following ingredient performance features?

Cleansing
    Moisturization
    Hair products (any characteristic)

oldperry replied 4 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Bubbles

July 30, 2019 at 6:50 pm

Would you set up an experiment with a standardized base formula and use corneometry to test performance as it relates to skin moisturization? I ask in the form of a question because I’m unsure.

• Sibech

July 30, 2019 at 7:56 pm

For moisturization purposes, we usually go with both TEWL measurements in conjunction with dermal conductance measured over time.

Cleansing has usually been a comparative washing with relevant coloured products as the reference.

• oldperry

July 31, 2019 at 1:34 am

Bubbles said:

Would you set up an experiment with a standardized base formula and use corneometry to test performance as it relates to skin Moisturization

This is one of the challenges. I would use 2 controls, no treatment & the best ingredient . So I would start with petrolatum as the best occlusive agent & if something performs better, that would be my new “best” control.  If you were using a finished formula, then I would compare everything to the best formula.