Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating How to mix ethyl cellulose, propanol 2, castor oil and water?

• How to mix ethyl cellulose, propanol 2, castor oil and water?

Posted by Anonymous on October 19, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Hi everyone! so after much research I’ve decided to just try blending my own product as I could not find any cost effective services to help me develop my cosmetic. I do not have any chemistry background.

In the beginning, this is more for me so I’m not worried about liability at this time as I need this product. 

The main ingredients this cosmetic needs is ethyl cellulose, propanol 2, castor oil and water. Basically, it is a cosmetic sealer for body art. How do I go about mixing these together? Ideally, the original formula has color and pigments in it that I want to add in the future. Thanks so much!
    chemist77 replied 9 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • bill_toge

October 19, 2014 at 6:46 pm

ethyl cellulose is miscible with most solvents bar water; I’d suggest mixing all the other ingredients together and adding water at the end

also, cellulose derivatives tend to swell very slowly at room temperature  - if you want to cut down your processing time, heat the mixture up to 30-40°C and mix it thoroughly

• chemist77

October 20, 2014 at 12:57 am

IIRC my company developed a lipstick sealer long time back and it had Dermacryl 79, Ethanol and little glycol to plasticize and reduce the effect of ethanol harshness. Worked well, hope it gives you some lead.