Flavor & Fragrance in Liquid Lipstick

Hi All! My formula for liquid lipstick is almost complete and super stoked. One last problem is the taste and smell of the product is pretty horrid. I need to add a flavor/aroma that will mask the taste and smell of it. Are there any natural products to do this? I don't want any strong flavors, just a hint of it so mask the offenses.  Thanks for the help!

Comments

  • PharmaPharma Member, Pharmacist
    What's in it that causes the stench? You're hopefully not using rancid oils?
    Certain smells can be neutralised by adjusting pH, others may be masked using cyclodextrins, silica or certain clays.
    Apart from that, lemony flavours are often used to mask smell but I can imagine that they won't help as good against the off-taste.
  • I think you should post your formula and have it reviewed. Some products, such as conditioners do have pretty unpleasant smell until you add fragrance, but lipsticks are not one of those.
  • Pharma said:
    What's in it that causes the stench? You're hopefully not using rancid oils?
    Certain smells can be neutralised by adjusting pH, others may be masked using cyclodextrins, silica or certain clays.
    Apart from that, lemony flavours are often used to mask smell but I can imagine that they won't help as good against the off-taste.
    I think it's a resin that we're using that's causing the smell. Any ideas? Thanks!
  • PharmaPharma Member, Pharmacist
    I think you should post your formula and have it reviewed.
    Look at this, that's my idea too! :wink:
  • Pharma said:
    I think you should post your formula and have it reviewed.
    Look at this, that's my idea too! :wink:
    hahaha, I unfortunately don't have the entire formula yet either..what about if there's any high intensity oil solubles natural sweetners?
  • PharmaPharma Member, Pharmacist
    abh032000 said:
    high intensity oil solubles natural sweetners?
    Ehh?? A what?
  • Pharma said:
    abh032000 said:
    high intensity oil solubles natural sweetners?
    Ehh?? A what?
    A natural sweetener that won't dissipate in high temps like stevia? 
  • SibechSibech Member, Professional Chemist
    abh032000 said:
    hahaha, I unfortunately don't have the entire formula yet either..what about if there's any high intensity oil solubles natural sweetners?
    Well, you don't have the entire formula yet, otherwise, you wouldn't need to adjust it right now at all. You really should listen to Pharma and Ngarayeva001 and post the formula (in its current state) with INCI names (and possibly tradenames) and their percentages. Your current process should be added too so people can see if you're making some odd choices that could increase any off-taste.
    Dabbling Formulator — Qualified Cosmetic Safety Assessor — experienced in claim substantiation & EU regulatory affairs.
  • PharmaPharma Member, Pharmacist
    An oil soluble natural sweetener? You sure? Cause AFAIK all natural sweeteners are highly water soluble. Probably you consider enoxolone (aka glycyrrhetic acid) a sweetener although it's no longer sweet as compared to glycyrrhizin...
    But since you write in riddles I'm aouta here, sorry pal.
  • Pharma said:
    An oil soluble natural sweetener? You sure? Cause AFAIK all natural sweeteners are highly water soluble. Probably you consider enoxolone (aka glycyrrhetic acid) a sweetener although it's no longer sweet as compared to glycyrrhizin...
    But since you write in riddles I'm aouta here, sorry pal.
    I'm sorry I'm not a chemist, I'm just trying to help out the actual chemist who don't have access to this so I'm trying my best haha. But thank you for the help and suggestions! I know, I suck at this that's why I had to hire a chemist! :( 
  • PharmaPharma Member, Pharmacist
    What weird kind of arrangement do you have with your cosmetic chemist that he's got a problem he can't solve and when you try to help him out (he should pay YOU instead LoL), he tells you shit...
  • SpongeSponge Member
    abh032000 said:
    Pharma said:
    An oil soluble natural sweetener? You sure? Cause AFAIK all natural sweeteners are highly water soluble. Probably you consider enoxolone (aka glycyrrhetic acid) a sweetener although it's no longer sweet as compared to glycyrrhizin...
    But since you write in riddles I'm aouta here, sorry pal.
    I'm sorry I'm not a chemist, I'm just trying to help out the actual chemist who don't have access to this so I'm trying my best haha. But thank you for the help and suggestions! I know, I suck at this that's why I had to hire a chemist! :( 
    Your chemist doesn’t have the internet? (You’re gonna need to post everything you can like Pharma, ngarayeva001 and Sibech said.)
Sign In or Register to comment.