Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Two Preservative Systems

• Two Preservative Systems

Posted by Lindsey1009 on July 15, 2019 at 8:58 pm

Just a general question for you guys. Can I use TWO preservative systems in a cream or serum? I was thinking Neoguard and Optiphan. I emailed the supplier and she said that I absolutely can. I know some of you may be wondering why I want to use two, I just ear on the side of caution. (I know I can’t use this for something like a vitamin C serum, I am just asking in general…)

So please let me know if this will be okay. Also, what would you guys recommend in terms of % of each one? Perhaps the midpoint of the recommendation of each chemical?

markbroussard replied 4 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • oldperry

July 15, 2019 at 9:12 pm

Yes, you can use two preservative systems.

• ozgirl

July 16, 2019 at 12:10 am

Just make sure if you are using two preservative blends that they don’t have the same components or if they do that you don’t exceed the maximum permissible concentrations for each individual component.

• markbroussard

July 16, 2019 at 12:29 am

@Lindsey1009:

The answer is “Yes, but” …

Most preservatives are generally broad spectrum agains bacteria, yeast & mold, but many preservatives are primarily bacteriocides or fungicides … strong against bacteria, but weak on yeast/mold or vice-versa.

So, you best look at your selection of preservatives as complimenting each other.  Combine a preservative that is strong against bacteria, but weak on yeast/mold with a second preservative that is strong on yeast/mold.

There is little point in combining two preservatives that are both strong on bacteria, but both weak on yeast/mold.

Generally, yeast/mold will be your most likely fail point in preservation, so make sure you add a strong fungicide.