Profile pictures are back! I've finally figured out how to restore the pictures. If you don't have a profile pic or want to change yours, feel free to go to your profile and add a picture.
Stearic acid based shave cream that is thicker when hot?
  • I am working on a stearic acid based shave cream that becomes so thick it's almost solid at 55-60C, but when it gets to room temp the viscosity significantly decreases to ~50,000 cPs.

Notes:
    ~70% Water
    ~5% Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate
    ~15% Stearic Acid
    ~.5% Potassium Hydroxide
    Water phase and oil phase are heated to ~75C (surfactant in water phase) and combined hot via 3 blade prop. Neutralized with potassium hydroxide shortly after combining.
    Final product pH is 6.5-7

Right now my concern is scale up, but I was curious if anyone had seen or knew why this phenomena existed (as I have never seen it before).
  • Yes I have seen this before, try finishing it with an excess of Stearic and neutralise it further when cooler
  • I ended up neutralizing with more Potassium Hydroxide as the viscosity got too thick during cool down. Worked out better from a processing perspective but I did have to homogenize at the end to make the product uniform (turned out pretty lumpy). I kept track of the total amount of potassium hydroxide added, so I'm going to try to add it all right away and see what happens.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion