Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Is glycerin a degreaser?

• Is glycerin a degreaser?

Posted by MJL on July 12, 2019 at 1:04 am

I have read about glycerin being used as a degreaser, and also have seen claims that it “cleans oils from skin.” I cannot find a straight answer about the truth (or lack thereof) of this on the web. 

Does glycerin remove oils from the skin, especially when used in cleansing systems? 

Yes, I know/understand that glycerin is a humectant (draws water), and that it is regarded as a conditioning ingredient. And no- I am definitely not trying to use glycerin for the purpose of removing oils. I am simply wondering if it’s true (or not) that it has “degreasing” properties. 

Thanks for your time! :)

doreen replied 4 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • pharma

July 12, 2019 at 6:57 am

It does have better degreasing properties than plain water… on the other hand, did you ever mix glycerol and oils? What happens if you do?

• smok

July 13, 2019 at 10:11 am

Pharma said:

It does have better degreasing properties than plain water… on the other hand, did you ever mix glycerol and oils? What happens if you do?

haha
  • MJL

July 13, 2019 at 6:56 pm

Look, I’m just wondering whether it’s true or not. To me it sounds BS, but on the other hand I have watched a YouTube video of a dude using a water/glycerin mix to easily and thoroughly remove a thick layer of motor oil from his hands and arms. That’s why I am just curious what affects glycerin has in cleansing systems, if any. Not looking to use glycerin as a cleanser or degreaser, just wanna know if it has any affects on skin lipids. 

If anyone has any slightly more constructive thoughts on this, I’d be very appreciative for the information.

• doreen

July 15, 2019 at 9:54 am

@MJL
    I think what Pharma means is that glycerine isn’t soluble in oil, isn’t lipophilic or doesn’t have lipophilic parts, so it won’t have as much effect as for exampe a surfactant in a ‘soap’ will have. That it is only just slightly better than water.

• pharma

July 15, 2019 at 7:43 pm

@Doreen is 100% correct

• MJL

July 16, 2019 at 8:28 pm

Thank you @Doreen for expanding on that so kindly and patiently. And thank you @Pharma for your participation in this thread. It is much appreciated!

• doreen

July 20, 2019 at 10:22 am

@MJL
    No problem at all, you’re welcome! :)