Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Suggestions for a comparable solvent for two actives (terpenes)

• Suggestions for a comparable solvent for two actives (terpenes)

Posted by JbeanRaz on June 25, 2019 at 11:36 pm

I’m hoping someone within the forum could provide me with some advice/suggestions on a formulation for a hair product I’m working on.

The current formulation consists of two actives (terpene isolates) within ethylhexyl stearate (octyl stearate). The two actives are medicinal so it’s important to get the solvent right.

It would be nice to learn of an alternative(s) to the ethylhexyl stearate as it is not easily sourced and pricey. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated ☺️

Jill

JbeanRaz replied 4 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • markbroussard

June 26, 2019 at 12:54 am

@JbeanRaz

You could try Isopropyl Myristate or Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides.  IPM would probably be the first choice.  Octyldodecanol might also work.

• JbeanRaz

June 26, 2019 at 2:04 am

Thanks Mark!

• oldperry

June 26, 2019 at 12:46 pm

I’m curious, what do the terpenes do for the hair?

• JbeanRaz

June 26, 2019 at 2:21 pm

It’s actually to treat head lice and their eggs. I’m in the lice treatment and removal business ?

• pharma

June 27, 2019 at 7:53 pm
    Take silicon oil, that’s already used to treat lice by A: suffocating them by filling their trachaea and B: making the survivors dry out by perforating the chitin exosceleton.
    Silicon oil products (Hedrin, contains dimethicone and either cyclomethicone or nerolidol) are as effective as chemical insecticides containing for example permethrin.
  • Aziz

June 28, 2019 at 5:50 am

Pharma said:

Take silicon oil, that’s already used to treat lice by A: suffocating them by filling their trachaea and B: making the survivors dry out by perforating the chitin exosceleton.
    Silicon oil products (Hedrin, contains dimethicone and either cyclomethicone or nerolidol) are as effective as chemical insecticides containing for example permethrin.

4% Dimethicone solution also works as a nonpoisonous lice killer . 

• chemicalmatt

June 28, 2019 at 4:50 pm

For terpenes, especially if they include any aromatic heterocyclics, try C12-15 alkyl benzoate as your co-solvent. Works well, easy to source, inexpensive. (Again, what CAN’T Finsolv TN do?)

• JbeanRaz

August 30, 2019 at 1:29 am

@chemicalmatt - May I DM you regarding the above? Having issues with my formulation and need help!