Microcare SB

Does anybody have any experience of using this preservative? Is it possible to put it in the aqueous phase? This has been recommended to me by the manufacturers but I am sure I read somewhere that you shouldn’t heat it.

I would be very grateful for any insights that anyone has.

Many thanks.

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Member
    It is water soluble however you should add it after heating. Add it below 40 degrees Celsius during a cool down phase.
  • GabyDGabyD Member
    edited May 14
    Hi NeilL, I am currently adding it to the cool phase, but it is causing the skin to go red and sore (I thought I had fixed the problem as per my other thread, but my elation was a bit premature!)

So the manufacturers told me to add it at the aqueous phase and heat it up. However, I am sure I read somewhere not to do that. So I’m unsure what to do.
  • NeilLNeilL Member
    I haven't worked with Microcare SB before but looking at the product it is a mixture of sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate. Both of these are stable at an increased temperature so they should be fine to be heated up. However I am not sure if this will change the affect they are having on the skin.
  • GabyDGabyD Member
    Thanks NeilL, I will give it a try and report back  :).