Anhydrous Gel; Improving Feel

I'm developing an anydrous gel as a delivery system for natural plant oils. I'm using HEC and diisopropyl adipate with castor oil or mct oil to form the gel. I find the gel to be sticky and I'd like to get better absorption and a smoother feel; closer to the feel of an oil massage. Can anyone suggest ways to achieve this please? The product is to be marketed as natural.

Thanks,

Comments

• Isn’t HEC a water soluble polymer?
  • acbluesacblues Member
    edited May 13
    It depends on the degree of substitution of ethyl. "When the degree of substitution of ethyl is between 0.7 and 1.7, Ethyl Cellulose is soluble in water; while it is higher than 1 .5, it is soluble in organic solvents."

• What about Xanthan?
    Dr. Catherine Pratt
    (B.Sc with HONS I , Ph.D Analytical/Organic Chem and Microbiology), Cosmetic Chemistry IPCS)
  • acbluesacblues Member
    edited May 17
    Thanks for your input Catherine. I should have mentioned, its a transparent gel and so xanthan won't work.

• I would think Castor oil is too thick & sticky, MCT much better but there are other alternatives like Olive & Shea Esters. Lexfeel natural will give a good sensorial. Are you using a humectant?
    Dr. Catherine Pratt
    (B.Sc with HONS I , Ph.D Analytical/Organic Chem and Microbiology), Cosmetic Chemistry IPCS)
  • acbluesacblues Member
    I would think Castor oil is too thick & sticky, MCT much better but there are other alternatives like Olive & Shea Esters. Lexfeel natural will give a good sensorial. Are you using a humectant?
    I have actually tried MCT oil as well. It works quite well, although still with some tackiness. Lexfeel looks interesting and I've requested a sample. I don't have a humectant in the formula at present, do you have any suggestions?
  • Either Glycerin or Propanediol. Just add it to the water and mix, it will add to the moisturisation. Hope this helps.
    Dr. Catherine Pratt