Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Science Nanoemulsification of an anhydrous formula?

• Nanoemulsification of an anhydrous formula?

Posted by Discovery on May 6, 2019 at 3:07 pm

Hello, Does anyone know if it is possible to create a nanoemulsion using ultrasonication out of an anhydrous formula (cocoa butter, glycerin, oil)? No surfactants or water. Thanks

microformulation replied 4 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • microformulation

May 6, 2019 at 3:21 pm

The glycerin is water soluble, so it wouldn’t properly be considered anhydrous. Barring the glycerin, if the product were truly anhydrous, you wouldn’t be forming an emulsion (two separate insoluble partitions requiring an emulsifier).

• Discovery

May 6, 2019 at 8:38 pm

Mark,
    Oh, right. Thanks for pointing out about the glycerin. I stand corrected:) I am trying to avoid using a preservative and thinking I could substitute the glycerin for water. At this point I figure I need an emulsifier so will be doing some experimenting with a oil/glycerin emulsion. I am using sucrose ester, polysorbate 20, and lecithin for an oil/water emulsion, but may need to use a different combo for glycerin. 

• microformulation

May 7, 2019 at 8:43 pm

If you can get away from the glycerin, this Formulation becomes much less tasking. Why is the glycerin there? Have you considered other lipid based raw materials which deliver the same claims and benefits?