Decyl Glucoside as a Co-Emulsifier or Emulsion Stabilizer for Leave On Applications

Can someone explain to me if Decyl Glucoside would be a good emulsion stabilizer or co-emulsifier in lotion/cream (leave on) formulations at < 0.5 %w/w. 

Comments

• PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    I wouldn't say it's a good emulsifier for a leave-on product due to it's allergenic potential. Stick with standard nonionic emulsifiers.

https://www.mdedge.com/pediatrics/article/132615/contact-dermatitis/ecofriendly-surfactant-allergen-year
  • I get surprised when I see glucosides in leave in moisturizers. Usually they are listed after 1% line but it’s strange to see, say coco glucoside, in a luxury Japanese moisturizer.
    Thank you for an article, Perry.
  • GuntherGunther Member
    Glucosides leave a sticky afterfeel even in rinse off formulations
    The stickiness will become worse in leave on applications.
  • BelassiBelassi Member
    It's a terrible idea.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • RenKBRenKB Member, PCF student
    Adding to the "no, don't." I've found decyl glucoside in particular to be quite irritating on the skin, and the stickiness it adds is a pain to deal with.